“Cedarville State Forest”

Cedarville State Forest
Reviewed 14 February 2017

wonderful place to visit for day, camp, fish and see where they raise fish to distribute to lake' Take a walking stick cause soo much to see..it is a forrest.

1  Thank gingerc00ks
"table"
"bathroom"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 25 August 2016

This is a beautiful park with campgrounds, fishing, nature trails, and full of deer, birds, squirrels, and dozens of other creatures. It is a wonderful place for a nature hike or bike ride.

Reviewed 17 April 2016

I spent last weekend camping at Cedarville State Forest in a travel trailer. It was a very good experience. The staff is friendly and helpful. When I checked in on Friday, the attendant noted that it may be difficult to get in to the spot I reserved due tot he size of my trailer (31'). She offered a couple other suggestions, and I picked one. It worked out well. The family campground is small, and there is a pretty decent amount of space between the campsites. It was challenging maneuvering the trailer, but it can be done. As the website notes, there are no water hook-ups, so plan ahead. There is a water fill station (next to the dump station) right before you get to the campground, but it's not on the map they give you and not very well marked. Restrooms were clean and well-maintained.
I used this as a "home base" for exploring things in the area, but it's also a nice place to hike or just relax. I would stay here again and definitely recommend it.

2  Thank Kevin M
Reviewed 29 February 2016

We hiked Cedarville on a nice day in February. It is a lovely park that even on one of those rare warm winter days wasn't crowded. We hiked about half of the park. It has some great trails with some varied terrain. My wife said it was her favorite hiking place so far (and we've hiked some places, let me tell you).

The trails were well-marked and varied, from flat to fairly hilly. Even after some melted snow, I didn't find them too wet or muddy. You can hike long or short, however you wish, and never be too far away from your car, just in case you need to get back to it.

One downside is that there must be a nearby shooting range, as there were constant gunshots. The farther east you traveled in the park, the louder it got. I also knocked off a star for lack of scenery or water features - a few creeks here and there, but it is a pretty bland, basic hike if you're wanting some breathtaking views.

However, for a quick hike or picnic, this is a great option for DC area folks!

See more reviews
Reviewed 19 September 2015

My husband and I RV camped here for 2 nights last week on our way to the Williamsburg area and were pleasantly surprised when we got in late the first night. The sites were wooded and very private and the campground was incredibly quiet, even during the day. Other than lots of spiders and other insects....to be expected in the woods after all.. The bathrooms were adequate, well lit and stocked. This will be our 'go to' campground when we visit the DC area again. The Rangers patrolled frequently so we felt very secure as well.