“Jumbo shrimp (orange sauce)”
Review of Hunan Taste

Hunan Taste
Ranked #25 of 111 Restaurants in Catonsville
Cuisines: Chinese
Description: Hunan Cuisine consists of the major cuisine of Changsha, Hengyang and Xiangtan. It's one of Chinese Eight Regional Cuisines and is well known for its perfect cooking, various ingredients, diversified flavor and numerous styles. The characters of taste focus on sour spicy, fresh aroma and tender texture. Common cooking techniques include pot-roasting, braising, preserving, stewing and frying, Pot-roasting and braising are particular about slow cooking. Pot-roasting pursues deep color, conversely, braising pursues light and clear. Preserving includes smoking, salting and marinating & roasting. Preserved food can be appetizer, stir- fried or stewed with soup. Frying stresses fresh, tender, spicy and hot. Recent years, Hunan Cuisine is the most popular taste in China. More than one year since opening, Hunan Taste receive praise of its regional Chinese cooking and good taste.
Reviewed 20 August 2016 via mobile

I took a chance on a new takeout restaurant and I was not disappointed. The shrimp were huge and the sauce was delicious. The steamed broccoli was very fresh and tasty.

Reviewed 18 July 2016 via mobile

Came for lunch with a group. Some of the dishes were really good. The crispy duck was nice and crunchy without being too dry or greasy. Mushrooms and baby bok choy also done very well . Everything was decent but the salt pepper shrimp in shell let down a little by a soggy coating and the steamed flounder was probably not fresh fresh but that frozen fresh fish. It's still miles ahead of your regular Chinese place but needs some fine tuning to hit the highest levels. Menu choice was overwhelmingly authentic.

Reviewed 30 June 2016 via mobile

This is a hard review to write.

The service was fantastic. The server obviously saw that I was a bit outside my element when ordering. This is an extremely authentic Chinese restaurant. It is obviously very popular among the local Chinese community. Everyone I saw appeared to be very much enjoying their meal and the dining experience. The restaurant is very clean and as I mentioned earlier the service is fantastic.

All that said, I did not like my food. I ordered diced chicken with chilis. I received a plate with approximately 1/2 pound of diced jalapeno peppers and approximately 1/2 pound of diced, fried, very greasy chicken. The server stated that the chicken was white meat. But if it was, it was diced without any attention for avoiding fat, gristle, bone, etc.

The jalapeno peppers were full strength in the spicy department. And less you are one who loves extremely spicy food, these jalapeno peppers were not edible. This number of jalapeno peppers is not something we see in a single platter very often. Usually, when this volume up peppers are used it is Bell peppers that you're eating.

Buried amongst the pile of jalapenos was the greasy chicken and a few onions and water chestnuts.

Don't get me wrong, the chicken had a good flavor but it was saturated with oil.

Reviewed 30 March 2016

Our hiking group was excited about having lunch at Hunan Taste because of their diverse menu of authentic Chinese dishes. We all ordered lunch from the abbreviated lunch menu. The service was good and we quickly received our lunch orders. We were first surprised that our soup came at the same time as our lunch entree. Typically I would expect to receive my soup first. All of our soups were lukewarm (which is not good in my opinion). Then to our disappointment all of our entrees were also kind of lukewarm and in fact parts of my friend's entree where cold like the dish was microwaved. Our fried rice was cold too. We noticed other diners with steaming plates of food. My Hunan Chicken tasted good but was certainly not steaming hot as I would expect from wok cooking. We were very disappointed. I have been eating Chinese food my whole life and this was a very unsatisfying experience. We might try this restaurant again sometime for dinner when there may be more turnover.

Reviewed 7 January 2016

I've been to Hunan Taste dozens of times by now...They have a large menu of authentic Chinese dishes of seafood, meat and veggies. Most taste really good. The place is clean and nicely decorated. There are semi private rooms in the back, and we had office parties there for about 30 people. Because the restaurant specializes on Hunan local food, most dishes are on the spicy side. Favorite dishes: eggplant in clay pot, steamed spicy fish head, stirred fried fish fillet (non spicy), mopo tofu.