“Top notch seafood”

Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Duarte Rebolo was born in Madeira Island, Portugal, a popular European tourist spot. His career in restaurant service began there and so far has spanned about 25 years. He left Madeira to work for Celebrity Cruise Lines. It was here that he worked with world renowned Grand Chef Michel Roux. It was here that he met his wife Linda, and decided to move to the Washington area. While here in Washington, he worked at The Water Gate Hotel with Jean Louis Pallidin until Jean Louis Left. At this point the Pallidin became Aquarelle and the Chef was Robert Weidemaier. Duarte continued to work at The Watergate until his dream of opening his own restaurant came true. Tavira opened in November of 1999. The cuisine is primarily traditional Portuguese, as well as Mediterranean dishes. It has been given favorable reviews from the Washington Post, Washington Diplomat, The Gazette, Bethesda Magazine and Washingtonian Magazine 100 Very Best Restaurants. Duarte's professionalism, attention to detail and hard work will make you Dining experience a deligtful virtual escape to Portugal
Reviewed 1 April 2017 via mobile

The treatment of fish and seafood is delicate, tasteful and uniquely Portuguese. We've been coming here for years and never had a bad meal. There are a variety of house wines to compliment every dish. The desserts are delicious and often accompanied by a complimentary glass of Port. Tavira is the best kept secret of Chevy Chase!

dlreb, Owner at Tavira, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2017

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. We take a lot of pride in the quality of our food and service, and it's nice to know you were impressed. I appreciate the good words and hope to have you at our table again soon! Best wishes Duarte R Rebolo

Reviewed 30 March 2017

We had dinner at Tavira for the first time this month. We ordered the first Salt Cod entree on the menu and the Corvina daily special. Both were excellent ! The service and atmosphere were also first class. The only disappointment was that there was only one (1) Portuguese red wine available by the glass. Parking for dinner in the building garage was convenient and free.

Reviewed 26 March 2017

Tavira is a gem. This charming restaurant provides excellent food in quiet elegance. We ordered lamb shank and cod (bacalao) and loved it. The lamb was served with risotto and the fish with potatoes, onions, and other vegetables. The bar was neat and orderly, which is a must for us. The service was very professional. I highly recommend it.

dlreb, Owner at Tavira, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2017

Reviewed 14 March 2017

The atmospher was lovely, the service very good. The food was very good, but too rich for me--too much sauce with too much oil, cream (I think). I recommend it, with the caveat that if you can't tolerate much fat, you might want to rethink.

Reviewed 2 March 2017

We were recommended by some friends to visit this restaurant, as it was the only portuguese restaurant in the region.
What a disappointment. The cuisine has nothing to do with the flavours and dishes we are used to taste. Improvising is not the best option to get clients. Having a portuguese name in the restaurant is not enough to be a portuguese restaurant.

dlreb, Owner at Tavira, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2017

Thank you so much for your review!

On behalf of everyone at Tavira, I would like to extend a warm thank you for choosing to dine with us recently. At Tavira, we are committed to delivering operational excellence to all of our guests. We pride ourselves on our hospitality, personalized service and the highest quality food. This is why your voice and opinion are so important to us.

I am concerned that your experience at Tavira was not positive, and I appreciate your candor in bringing this situation to my attention. I can assure you this is not a usual experience for our guests.

As the Chef /Owner of the restaurant, I'm very sorry and disappointed to hear your visit was not so enjoyable.
If you're interested in trying us again, to experience what we are here to do for 17 years, please email me at dlreb@aol.com I'd be happy to invite you back on me.

Thank you for listening, I hope to hear from you soon...