See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Stayed for 4 days on 10/10/13. Stay was comfortable. Price was reasonable.
It was better than expected. They Provide free Internet.

It worked out for my work.
Owner was nice and helpful.
Back of Property has a scenic view of Mountain & Old Barn is there.

Room Tip: I Stayed in Room 21 , It was Non Smoking. It had Refrigerator & Microwave.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Nilesh P
Reviewed 9 July 2009

We are hiking through WV and had planned to stayed in Keyser (24 miles from the trail was the closest we could find) but did not book ahead. When we arrived there were no vacancies and were told that Cumberland, Md (20 MORE miles) was the closest town with another hotel. (We do have a car at the end of the day.) It was already past 10, we'd hiked a long time and were really tired. My husband said, "We're getting a room at the first place we find..we have to come back this distance tomorrow before we start hiking." The first place?...The Diplomat Hotel, which was only 8 miles away. It was dark & we knew it was probably dated but we figured to make do. I actually thought the lobby was worse than the room. The attendant/owner wasn't very friendly & I was not comfortable using a credit card so we just paid cash. ($55 with tax, less than we had planned to pay in Keyser and much less than we had planned for Cumberland.)She asked us if we needed a receipt & I said no. Then the room...better than expected but not good. There were two beds & the spreads didn't look clean but the sheets looked and smelled very fresh (Thank goodness!) There was a microwave & fridge, but unlike the previous poster, they seemed clean enough. The furniture was very dated, the carpet worn & with a couple of stains. The pillows were skimpy, but we didn't mind that...we like our pillows thin, but the mattress was a little lumpy too. The bathroom wasn't much but the toilet worked, there was soap & lotion. I wouldn't have sat down in the bathtub for anything though. We both used the shower where the water came out of the showhead everywhere except it was supposed to. I picked up a washcloth & it had a stain, probably rust, but it gave me the erie feeling of blood that hadn't been washed out. I didn't use it. I knew plain old soap was at least clean. There was lots of mold, chipped tile and dusty corners in there too and no outlets at all. There was no phone or no clock so we kept waking up every half hour to hour trying to make sure we got up in time to get an early start on our hike. I then remembered that we had a lock with an actual key & wasn't sure what we should do with it when we left so I went back over to the office to ask. We had also decided we ought to get a receipt since we had paid in cash....(Yes, it was late, 11:05 to be exact.) I rang the bell, apologized for being after 11pm, asked about the key & also said we decided we would like to have a receipt. The woman snapped, "I asked you earlier if you wanted a receipt and you said no." I told her we had changed our minds, that I like to keep track of our spending, & that we would know in the future where we had stayed. She again snapped, "This is Cumberland. You said you didn't want a receipt.", but she gave it to me anyway. It took all of 15 seconds to write it out. Maybe they've fallen on hard times & can't afford to upkeep the motel. I could sort of understand that, but it should still be clean. And the attitude? There was no excuse.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
13  Thank dcmsteach
Reviewed 29 January 2009

This is the worst dump that I have ever stayed in. It once was a nice place ...before this "group" took it over. The lady , I guess the owner was [--]....my husband & I had no clue why she was so hateful. If she would have been a man, my husband who have taken him outside and"explained" how rude it is to be so rude!
The room was just like every other experience on this site. I wish that we would have seen this first. I cannot believe that the health/fire dept has not gone in and shut them down. It must have some many violations.They need to send a goverment official there undercover to spend just one night!!!

STAY AWAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
14  Thank honeybunny69
Reviewed 29 November 2008

I made reservations at the diplomate with a credit card. When I got there the atendant. Said I never made reservations. I week before I went on my 120 mile trip I called the diplomate, I called and confermed my reservation. The attendent was very rude, basicly calling me a liar

8  Thank bredward
Reviewed 20 October 2008

Roaches. no plug in the bath tub. Recently painted, and they painted the carpet as well. The place stank and I was sure I was going to catch something. I had to switch rooms to take a bath, and the next room was not an improvement. The lady was rude, and refused to refund my money so that I could stay elsewhere.
This place was AWFUL.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank bikeva