“Coupons they advertise do not work as intended”

B&O Railroad Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: A holiday exhibit of model trains is found at this rail museum in Ellicott City
Reviewed 12 June 2017 via mobile

4 of us went today to the museum. We had 2 adults and 2 children. We each intended to use a coupon each for b1g1. I was paying for 2 kids, and my friend for 2 adults. Seems like a simple enough concept. No where on the coupon did it say you cannot use the coupon to do buy one child get one free, and the other coupon to do buy one adult get one free. Also, it was not posted on site either. I mentioned to the girl who rang us out that I was paying for the 2 kids b1g1. My friend intended to do b1g1 free adults. This confused her so she consulted management in the back room. I gave her my credit card, she said nothing to explain she had charged me in fact for b1g1 for 2 adults then handed me the receipt. My friend had a b1g1 coupon that we attempted to use for 2 adults. They charged him the same price as me. I ended up paying $6 more than intended. When I tried to bring it to their attention that they had made a mistake, I apparently confused the boy at the register. He then had to consult said management at which point she came out of the back and told me I was not getting a refund of my $6, and that the coupon could not be used that way because the children cannot enter the museum alone. That is just ridiculous. I told her it did not state that on the coupon they circulate on the internet the exclusions. Well played B&O Museum. You have made an unhappy customer. Remember your business thrives because people visit there. I primarily visited because of said coupon that I was not able to use the way I needed to.

As far as the museum goes it does have a nice layout organized in the roundhouse. You can go into more trains than I expected.

They have a stamping station activity for kids up to age 12 where you go to different stations throughout the site and stamp up a card that you show to the gift shop at the end of the tour. My kids were given a pack of those rubber bracelets that were Thomas the Tank. They are 8 and 11, so not that into Thomas at that age. The bracelets seemed like a leftover giveaway from a Thomas event or something they could not sell.

The gift shop had varied merchandise. Tee shirt prices were less than I thought although they did not have a 3x in stock. They had some basic books, magnets, glasses and cups, ornaments, pens, postcards, Thomas the tank stuff, and little kids toys. They had higher prices for the model trains they had for sale than you'd find elsewhere. The people that work in the gift shop are not helpful or very knowledgeable about the merchandise they have right in front of them. I asked to buy a pressed penny book which was on display outside the shop, and he said they were out. I missed it the first time I walked though so I did a 2nd look and found 50 of them. I did tell the man at the counter when I paid and his comment was that they must have moved them.

We spent around 3 hours taking our time to visit. We will. It go back just because of the mistreatment by management.

1  Thank foodieblandon
There are newer reviews for B&O Railroad Museum

Reviewed 9 June 2017

We intended to visit the Ellicott City Station which was the first passenger stop but it was closed on Tuesday. We
androve to the downtown museum. The site is in an old part of town but parking is on site and kept very clean. The roundhouse museum is eye-catching tall. We learned the founder wanted to build a church but discouraged so this building was built extra tall like a cathedral. The volunteer docents were very knowledgable. Our time was very limited having to drive on to Philadelphia but we got great information.

Reviewed 23 May 2017

Bring your family and enjoy learning about US history through railroad history. Enjoy the beautiful restored roundhouse, see and climb on the engines, and take a train ride. Great for the kids with lots of hands on activities.

Reviewed 2 May 2017

My adult son and I visited on a week day afternoon. They had to sweep us out at closing. We found an excellent docent in the repair shed who was great with answering questions. We are sorry to have missed the train ride, so plan to be there earlier in the day. There is no food during the week, so bring your own. The station is a short walk from the light rail but there is also free parking on site. The trains on display are many and well restored and maintained. Lots of things for various ages. Great for families, enthusiast and the curious.

Reviewed 1 May 2017 via mobile

This was our first time at the railroad museum and it my little guys love trains! This place did not disappoint! They has an amazing time looking at all the old trains and going through the train cars learning about how and what they were used for even before we got to the Thomas activities. Of course the Thomas activities and train ride were the best. Defiantly a fun day and I would take them back with out any Thomas things since they enjoyed looking at all the old trains more!