“Great place for a quick getaway”

Rocky Gap Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Flintstone
Reviewed 5 August 2017

We enjoyed our time at Rocky Gap. Our room was very nice, with an enjoyable view of the lake and 1st tee. The casino wasn't friendly but I came out a little bit ahead. Thoroughly enjoyed the various firepits outback, great place to meet people for interesting conversation, and a few drinks. The registration process could be tweaked...a place this size could certainly have more than 3 registration stations. We checked in around 6 PM, the woman in front of us was told her room wasn't ready yet...REALLY?? Check-in starts at 4PM. Personally, we had no problems with check-in or our 3rd party reservation. The breakfast buffet had a good selection..from fruit and yogurt to chicken fried steak and MTO omelets. We will definitely return and bring some friends!

Room Tip: Try for a room on a higher floor (3 and up)
There are newer reviews for Rocky Gap Casino Resort

Reviewed 5 August 2017

The setting is gorgeous. The room was comfortable, and we appreciated having a fridge and a microwave. Lots to do...if you are not a gambler, there is a small sand beach (sunbathing only, no water access), boat and paddleboard rentals, a combination indoor/outdoor pool with a hot tub, a spa and gym, and golf. The entrance to the state park is right next door, complete with a large beach and swimming area. I wish that there were more restaurants nearby, we felt kind of tethered to the hotel for dining, but that is not the fault of the resort. We are not into the buffet thing, and the steakhouse looked kind of blah for the prices they were charging, so we stuck with the sports bar. The food there was decent, and they offered indoor and patio seating, which was nice. We will definitely be back.

2  Thank Michael T
Reviewed 3 August 2017

My wife and returned from a three day visit to the Rocky Gap Casino Resort. I had read reviews by others advising of an average visit, and I would have to say I would agree with them.

Upon our arrival we pulled into the entrance area and was met by several young valets. As I removed our bags from the car, I also removed a small cooler containing several soft drinks, a few bottles of ice water, and a bottle of champagne. We were told that only "6 pack" size coolers were allowed. Somewhat dismayed at this regulation, I put the cooler back in the SUV and removed the bottle of Champagne to put in my luggage. I was then quickly told that no outside alcohol was allowed. Now, I have been to hotel resorts all over the country (ie. New York,Miami, Las Vegas, etc.) I have never been denied the opportunity to bring in a bottle of wine or champagne to our room. Somewhat disheartening.

The room we were issued was nice and roomy. It included a refridgerator, microwave and in room safe. All, very nice. The staff at the various restaurants were also extremely pleasant. One strange instance occurred when we returned from a day in Cumberland around 2:30 pm. We found the room still unmade. I asked a maid nearby if we could expect it to be cleaned shortly. She replied she thought so, but could do our next if we wished. We agreed and went downstairs to have a drink at one of the restaurant bars. When I asked for a drink I was told the bartender was on break and should return shortly. They did offer to go get her, but, not willng to disrupt her break, I advised we could wait. Well 5 minutes became 10 minutes, Again they offered to go get her, but I am amazed that during a busy afternoon (there were a number of customers having a late lunch) there was only one person who could tend bar.

We also noticed a number of stains in the hallway capet leading up to our room. Not very inviting.

The casino was very nice. Also pleased to see that no smoking was permitted in the facility. The dealers at the roulette tables were very friendly and entertaining. Glad to see that for most of the night there was only a $5 minimum at the table. You did have to pay for your drinks, but at just $5 that was fine. My wife advised that the slots were very "tight" and she went though her daily allotment pretty quickly. I guess she was spoiled by Vegas.

We went into downtown Cumberland the first evening to walk arould and was surprised to see not many visitors on the walking mall area. Tuesday morning we went to the Canal St. area to rent bikes for a bike ride on the C&O Canal. Afterwards we had lunch at the Crabby Pig next to the bike shop and had a very enjoyable lunch. However while talking to a waitress, we learned why tourist traffic in downtown Cumberland was so slow. Crime and drugs! She mentioned that a number of shops that had been there for years had recently closed. She advised against walking downtown at night. This same advice was give to me on Wednesday morning while playing golf at the resort, by a playing partner who was also local to Cumberland. So, my advice would be it may be okay to visit Cumberland during the daytime, but avoid going downtown at night.

Overall I would give the resort 3 stars; (the golf course, although a bit pricy for the area was very nice). My wife enjoyed her spa treatment. Not sure if we would return. We'll have to think about that.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dwalters872
Reviewed 1 August 2017

Upon arrival, I was surely inspired by the beauty of the landscape, the view of lake, and just the simple, and serene beauty. Unfortunately, I did not experience the same level of awe when it came to my room (217). Quite pricey, I did not expect that I would experience a slow/broken drain in sink which mad brushing teeth etc, a plain hassle. Bed was broken or not sitting properly as it dropped to floor as I got into bed for the night. Never, not even in a Super 8 motel, have I experienced anything similar. In regards to Casino, the slots were tight, and not many good games. I believe that the machines may be rigged for the rich, or rather, the exclusive resort club members to win something...thus, the reason you may read a review where someone stating the slots paid off. No one was winning anything around me. This was an highly anticipated getaway, a break from business I needed for months. I could have gone anywhere, but, really thought I'd enjoy it here. I recommend only for the rich or well off, not for those who would frequent all the other well known casinos I need not name.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank C T
Reviewed 31 July 2017

Stayed two nights, Friday and Saturday night, on a mailed offer. Unable to check in a little early (about 90 minutes), arrived a little sooner after 4 hour ride:

-Had issue with free slot play. It was loaded to player card because I was never told by two employees (one at guest check in and next day at cashier) that it would expire at midnight the day it was loaded (I was trying to save til last day of trip).
-Casino a little on the tight side (machines).
-Property in very nice condition, inside and out.
-Room basically clean but but saw some issues that I overlooked (and so did housekeeping apparently)
-A lot of young employees at front desk, cashier cage, floor servers and servers at Signatures. I have been in customer service all my life, whether your in a tipped position or not you have to at least smile and make it seem you are happy to see the customer. Plenty of days I didnt want to be at work but once you clock in you have to "flip the switch" and go into customer service mode. I rarely saw a smile or pleasantry while at the property and especially at Signatures. The girls were walking around like they were being held hostage. The only smile I saw was the bar manager who made the forced smile when making eye contact with customers, which is better than nothing so I give her that.

Overall its a nice property with some very nice features which may have outgrown itself by the looks of the crowd over the weekend. Also other than the pool and some outdoor activities, I was surprised at the number of kids on property. Not sure if property is suitable for little ones and what was offered, it seemed more of an adult facility. Some families may have been from the State Park next door, I'm not sure. One kid we noticed was at the pool practically ALL DAY and that's where most of the kids seemed to hang out. But the pool opens up to a bar and outdoor sitting area so there was alot of yelling and wandering tikes. Maybe adult swim time could be considered.

Have visited several times and enjoy property, just feel like employees could be more welcoming and happy to see the customers (on this visit).

Room Tip: Handicap room at the end of a very long hallway. If your in a wheel chair or have a hard time gettin...
2  Thank rlgman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Flintstone
5.9 km away
17.5 km away
Best Western Braddock Inn
37.6 km away
The Country Inn of Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Spri...
#2 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
16.7 km away
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#1 of 5 in LaVale

Been to Rocky Gap Casino Resort? Share your experiences!