“Now Open for Lunch w/Poor Boy Sandwiches”
Review of Poor Boy's Steakhouse - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Poor Boy's Steakhouse
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 5 May 2012

My husband and I, along with friends, visited Poor Boy's today since they have just recently opened for lunch serving only Poor Boy subs for now. We had our choice of an oyster, steak or crabcake sandwich. Three of us opted for the oyster which was made with "fresh" not canned oysters and fried perfectly. Very tasty. For a side order, we chose the "thrashed" fries which are like Ocean City Boardwalk fries. Our other friend had the steak sub which he said was great also. All subs were served on crusty/soft (not too chewy) bread. Lunch also included soda or iced tea. Also, picnic tables are a new addition outside for anyone who wants to stop by for a quick lunch and enjoy the Spring weather.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

This was our second visit to Poor Boy's Steakhouse, and once again, it didn't disappoint. The food is excellent, and the steaks are locally farmed, grass-fed beef that is melt-in-your-mouth delicious. The salads are freshly prepared and the steaks are generously portioned and for a good price. There is also a bar, and they have a wide selection of fun, eclectic beers to choose from. Don't be fooled by the exterior appearance-- it's located in an older, smaller strip mall on Ritchie Hwy; Poor Boy's is a gem and fills a void that the Severna Park restaurant scene has been lacking.

2  Thank AbbeyGator28
Reviewed 26 January 2012

The quality of ingredients is fabulous. The beef is top notch, as was the seafood. The food was prepared well-- both steak and seafood were not over or undercooked, but were just right. The selection of spices/seasonings was a bit odd. Not bad, just odd. The crabcake had a spice mix I have never experienced before. The same was true of the glaze on the steak. I can't say I actually liked it, but I didn't exactly dislike it either. I will admit that I am not eager to return. If I do, I will probably order a simple steak with (hopefully) nothing but salt and pepper on it. I also found the ambiance to be less than I would like. This restaurant is a recent addition by the same folks who run The Breakfast Shoppe. It reflects their overall high standards for service and quirky sense of decor. TBS was relocated recently, and Poor Boy's was opened at the former location of TBS. Very little remodelling was done -- just the wall decorations and ambient lighting. Hard wooden benches for booths were ok for a hearty and inexpensive egg breakfast, but are less impressive for a nice steak dinner. I guess that is why they call it Poor Boys. The wait staff wear T-shirts. Not a place to take a nice date or business client. My initial impression is that the prices are not low enough to forgive the "poor boy" ambiance, but then I have to remember the quality of the ingredients. I think the place has a bit of a split personality disorder. Are they a cheap, family place where you can get a good, simple steak, or are they a high end fancy place with a creative and experimental menu?

1  Thank BusyTrveller
Reviewed 20 December 2011

My family first visited Poor Boys Steakhouse in November 2011 right after it opened for business. The decor is "rustic", hence the "Poor Boys" name (not the steaks). They offer USDA Top-Tier Choice beef, no hormones, grain fed and no antibiotics. I had the New York strip and I swear it was the best I've ever had; cooked to perfection. I returned about a week ago (Dec 2011) and had the salmon. It was cooked perfectly as well. Poor Boys has craft canned beers (environmentally-friendly) and artisan wines from small vineyards. I definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves a good steak.

2  Thank PatinMaryland