“Delicious and Authentic Ethiopian Meal”
Review of Meleket Restaurant

Meleket Restaurant
Ranked #38 of 437 Restaurants in Silver Spring
Reviewed 6 July 2018

I was craving Ethiopian food for lunch and selected Meleket Restaurant and was not disappointed!

I commenced with an appetizer of three veggie sambussas ($6). A sambussa is a Ethiopian/Somali hand-held pastry, akin to an Indian samosa. Both stem from the original Persian word sanbosag.

The veggie sambussas were stuffed with lentils, onions, and Ethiopian spices, baked in a triangular pastry, and served piping hot with a spicy dipping sauce. The filling was juicy and bursting with flavor. I concluded I prefer sambussas way more than Indian samosas, which I also enjoy. The sambussas' lentil filling was bursting with flavor and juicier than the dry, milder, potato and pea filling found in samosas.

My main course was the veggie combo ($13). The combo included five vegetarian wots. Wot, or wat, is an Ethiopian stew served on injera, a highly nutritious, spongy, sourdough-risen flatbread made from teff. The five wots were: misir (spicy lentil stew), atakilt alicha (cabbage, carrot, and potato stew), kik alicha (yellow split pea stew), gomen (Ethiopian-style collard greens stew), and shiro (roasted and powdered chickpeas stew). In addition to the injera on which the wots were served, there were three additional injera rolls. The meal was outstanding and substantial.

I was impressed by the quality, quantity, and value of the meal. I have spent time in Ethiopia and can attest to the authenticity as well. I highly recommend Meleket and plan to return the next time I'm in Silver Spring.

Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

Arrived with group of 5 for lunch. Owner helped us figure out what to get. Everything was super tasty and the entire experience very enjoyable

Reviewed 20 May 2018

This small place is friendly and great for lunch or dinner. We've had and enjoyed both; we've been when they were crowded and when they were not busy and had lovely service each time.

The samosas and veggie combination are especially good. There are other Ethiopian restaurants in the DC area where you pay twice the price for less quality, so this is worth a trip to Silver Spring, or a quick stop off the GA Ave exit at the Beltway.

Reviewed 10 May 2018

I had stopped off the highway looking for dinner, and lucked into this great find. A rather small menu of both veg and non-veg Ethiopian, I tried one of the Special Tibs dishes, and had a great meal. This was late Saturday night, and they had live music - also excellent, although just a touch loud.

I will definitely keep this place in mind for my travels, and hope to visit again and again.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

My friend and I wanted to meet between DC and Baltimore. Meleket had good reviews so we met here. It was smaller than I expected in a small corner strip center. The food was excellent and the service was even better. We had the samosas and veggie combo for both of us and that was plenty. The waitress suggested both. The restaurant is small and nice and clean and good looking inside which could be deceiving from the outside.