“Owner/Manager Bill Petal is a Greedy Man who Controls Employees”

Econo Lodge Takoma Park
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Takoma Park
Reviewed 12 January 2018

I checked in on a cold night around 7:45 PM. The outside temperature was 15 degrees. I got to my room about 8:00 PM and immediately turned on the heater, because the room was very cold about 35-40 degrees. The heater felt like it was blowing cold air. 35 minutes later, the room was still cold and the heater was still blowing semi warm air, not hot. I called front desk and they said will send someone up. 30 minutes later, still no show. So, I decided to cancel and leave. Minutes later was at the front desk requesting to cancel and refund, because the heater didn’t work, and staff was not willing to help. The woman behind the counter became very nervous, because I requested to cancel. I stressed I was only in the room for an hour sitting by the heater trying to get warm. She said it’s not our policy to cancel. I requested for her to call the manager. She nervously called and spoke with the manager. She got off the phone, and the manager told her to have someone check the heater. So, I waited 15 minutes at the front desk for someone to show up. Nobody yet. So, the woman behind the counter said she would go and check the heater. She came back and agreed the heater was not working. I requested her to call the manager back and give me a refund. A few minutes later, a maintenance man finally came, and then the woman and man were talking. Again, I stated I wanted to cancel, please call the manager, and let me speak to him. The lady was very nervous, somewhat set off and didn’t want to call the manager. I told her it’s not your fault, you don’t take care of the heaters in the room, I’m sure the manager gets a list of needed repairs. It’s the manager’s fault. She nervously called the manager again, asking that I wanted to cancel and wanted a refund. The manager told her that we don’t cancel, I can have another room. The lady behind the counter hung up with the manager, and I requested a discount. You can see the facial expression on the woman’s face again, very nervous and said, sorry we are not allowed to give discounts. I commented “Wow, your manager is a “donkey.” It’s been 2 hours since I checked in, and they are giving me another room. I got to the room, 35-40 degrees. Great, no heat, well this time the heater was working. An employee gave me the manager’s name, and I told them I would do a review on this hotel letting the world know that Bill Patel is a controlling greedy person who doesn’t care about customers. I do not recommend anyone staying at any property owned or managed by Bill Patel. See pictures of the room. It's not priced as a budget hotel, but it should be. This place should be priced at $45 to $55 per night, if you pay more than $55, your giving money to Mr. Patel. Do not stay at the Econo Lodge in Takoma Park, it's way over price!

Room Tip: Do Not Stay Here!
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 21 November 2016 via mobile

The absolute worse! How are they still in business? I've stayed at Econlodge many times. Always satisfied in the past, "Econolodge" should remove their name from this rat hole! Disgusting. Filthy. Gross. Stick to the floor. Inside and outside filthy!!#NEVERAGAIN

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lori C
Reviewed 15 November 2016 via mobile

If ur a tourist this hotel and the one next to it aren't in DC and nowhere near any museums or good areas.
It basically at the intersection of New Hampshire ave and University Blvd in Langley Park.
High crime area, the place is super sketchy. Rooms are not the cleanest and there is always Police activity here.
I would never stay here, there is a pool but I don't think I have ever seen it operational. It's near a IHOP which also has lots of problems. Stay somewhere else.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank riva9129
Reviewed 18 June 2016 via mobile

I will never stay there again. It is not often I rank a place so low, but the is a place to avoid at all costs.
The tube does not drain. You stand on ankle deep water very quickly while showering.
The ironing board was broken and had to be jerry rigged in order to press my shirt
Front desk did not seem that interested in helping to resolve the situation.
There is a quality inn right next door. Stay there.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2016

Guy at the front desk was very rude and not helpful at all (he couldn't "find" my reservation). The room we had smelled like pot and the toilet and shower were clogged. When i went to the front lobby to get an extra pillow no one was at the front desk and a man waiting to check in said he had been waiting for 45 minutes for the guy to come back to the desk. Please don't waste your money here and go somewhere else. Never coming back here again.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Takoma Park
5.1 km away
Holiday Inn Express & Suites College Park-University Area
7.9 km away
Days Inn Washington DC / Connecticut Avenue
Days Inn Washington DC / Connect...
#123 of 141 in Washington DC
4.1 km away
Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel
Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel
#9 of 12 in Silver Spring

Been to Econo Lodge Takoma Park? Share your experiences!