“Good skiing in Boston's backyard”

Blue Hills Ski Area
Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

Not a bad little ski area considering you can see Boston clearly from the other side of the mountain.

This is a very small mountain. One double chair lift that is very old and slow, but again you can't expect something super high end for such a small family run mountain.

Be prepared for a slow ride up the lift but if we've had any good amounts of snow expect to get some pretty good short quality runs. From the chair you'll find a couple of blue and black trails. Beginner, green trails are only available via surface (carpet) lifts.

I did not attend a lesson but did hear the instructors talking and teaching the younger kids a few times and seemed like they were doing an excellent job. Based on the number of kids I saw in lessons I can only suspect the lessons are good.

I would not make a special trip to this mountain but if you are local to the area and don't want to drive over an hour away for a larger mountain definitely worth the visit. I live right in Canton so it's a great place for me after work.

1  Thank Jen S

Reviewed 17 October 2016

My family and I attended the annual Sun Set hike at Blue Hills Ski Area. We were warmly greeted and given snacks for our hike up Big Blue to watch the sun set and take in the Fall foliage. We packed a picnic dinner to enjoy when we reached the top. Once we arrived at the top, there was hot cider and fresh apples to enjoy. We selected a spot and enjoyed our picnic as we watched the sun make its decent. My boys did some exploring and found a stone tower that we all climbed and enjoyed views of Boston and the surrounding towns. What a way to see all of the wonderful Fall foliage and enjoy a cool evening.

Reviewed 20 September 2016

This is close to the city and is a great place to learn to ski. You don't have to drive 2 hours and they have season passes.

1  Thank cardillokl
Reviewed 29 February 2016 via mobile

This is a great spot for beginner skiiers. The ski school is excellent and the beginner area is spacious and perfect for new skiiers. The magic carpet is very easy to use and offers 2 levels which was great as my kids progressed through the day. By the end of the first day on skiis both my kids were able to go on the ski lift to the top of the mountain and had no difficulty making their way down the easier trail. The day we were there there were only about 3 trails open (the snow was melting so only trails that had snowmaking were open). Although it's not a very big mountain, it fit my kids beginner level perfectly. Great for families! Nice large lodge area with plenty of food.

1  Thank klondrick