“Great Food. Great Atmosphere.”

Windward Grille Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 26 Restaurants in Essex
Price range: US$8 - US$24
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Antique New England farmhouse with 1800's barn attached. Fireplaces lit during the winter months. Large rustic bar with high-top seating around bar area. Booth and table seating available in several dining rooms. Special value priced specials available Monday thru Thursday. Large parking area with easy wheelchair accessibility.
Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

I had the steak - awesome. The service was excellent. I loved the great 'old England' style interior. Prices were good value for money. All in all a great time had.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

I got my favorite food item here which is one of the specials, seafood marinara.

It is fetticini with lots of shellfish and it is delicious. For an appetizer, I got the tomato

basil soup which was great as well. Everything was great about this meal, the food,

the wait service, and the location. I cannot wait to return to the Windward Grille.

Reviewed 26 August 2017

This is old New England at its best. Essex is crowded with restaurants, especially seafood restaurants, so competition is tough. The Windward provides a more extensive and varied menu than the clam and lobster houses down the road. That doesn't mean their clam and lobster dishes are not as good. The appetizer list is extensive. We started with the stuffed mushrooms (excellent), baked stuffed clams (excellent), and fried oysters (excellent---made with very fresh oysters). My wife had another appetizer for her main course:pepper-dusted tenderloin with goat cheese. Very good, but somewhat stingy on the goat cheese. My son had the rack of lamb with caramelized onions and mushroom risotto. Very good. I had the seafood cannelloni, very good but the sauce was a little flat. Good beer (draft and bottled) and wine menu. Friendly service. Atmosphere busy and noisy---the large dining rooms don't lend themselves to quiet dining given the popularity of the place. If I could give the restaurant a 4.5, I would.

Reviewed 18 August 2017

We ate there due to the good reviews. From outside looks very pretty, an old inn. One dining area was cute. The other 2 rooms were extremely plain and not really clean looking. The salad and soup were just eh... Iceberg lettuce salad.... thin no taste soup. I had their vegetable soup. Our entrees were okay. Not bad, but nothing special. Okay. We are 59 and 60 and we were the young ones in the restaurant. Mostly all elderly people. My husband and I kept saying how is this number 1 in the area? Very strange.

2  Thank mittmott
Tim521, Owner at Windward Grille Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2017

I don't understand what the age of the customers has to do with anything. Do you not like elderly people? What a shame, they are entitled to go out and eat also.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

Had the haddock which was fresh and delicious. Five of us had very good meals, great service, and prices were not too expensive.