“Uneven”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours
Reviewed 7 October 2018 via mobile

4 of us had dinner together this evening. The drinks were good. The appetizers were very nice: squash bisque,lobster bisque and lobster strudel. The strudel was so delicious and rich that I could have stopped there.
The meat or fish of each entree was cooked perfectly and was delicious. The sides were lacking. For example, the collard greens were so tough that they couldn't be cut easily even with a knife.The risotto was tasteless. It actually tasted like raw flour. It was seriously underdone. The polenta was also tasteless.
The service was efficient and polite.
I would suggest that greater attention be given to the sides. They aren't there just to fill the plate. Vegetables are an important component of any meal.i really like veggies. None of us were happy with the veggies or starches.
I would try it again, given the care that was taken with the meats and fish.

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed 2 October 2018

Special night out to celebrate my wife's birthday. Pleased to learn that they now accept reservations (can avoid a long wait in peak season). Greeted at the door and seated immediately although we were 15 minutes early. Good start.
Smaller menu with several specials of the evening. This was a return visit from a couple of years ago and we recognized a few standards. The Lobster Bisque was rich and creamy with nice spicing. The Lobster Strudel was top shelf with lumps of lobster in a flaky, croissant with a tasty sauce on the side. Might have been made with a pound of butter so this one is not for the calorie conscious. My wife had the Seafood Risotto with Shrimp and Lobster. I had the Coulette Steak, a grass fed sirloin perfectly prepared. For desert we shared a creamy Creme Brulee (with one candle) with a great caramelized "crust".
Based on this meal the Glass Onion remains on our A List of fine dining establishments on the Cape. Fairly pricey but well worth it for a special occasion.

Reviewed 20 September 2018 via mobile

We were very disappointed in the service we received tonight. Two of four plates were served a full five+ minutes before the others were served. Highly awkward and by the time the other plates were served, the first plates were room temperature at best. Worst part of this evening was when we complained to our server, she basically said it was a kitchen problem, not her problem. Even the manager was officious and seemed uninterested in constructive feedback about the lack of high hospitality standards by the waitstaff. While offered a discount on our bill, we refused that offer because we really felt it was a service quality issue that no one was taking responsibility for. No one seemed interested in correcting the real issues. And to top it off, the scallops were gritty and not cleaned well. Where was the concern to truly make our dinner right? There was little if any effort to correct matters before we demanded to talk to management. A major breakdown in service quality standards led to a highly disappointing experience!

Reviewed 8 September 2018

My wife and I just had dinner at this place, We weren't overly hungry so we had 2 appetizers and split an entre'. She had a blueberry mojito and I had a glass of rose'.
Both were really good. We had local raw oysters and the arugula salad. The oysters were tasty and the salad was excellent because of the goat cheese that accompanied the arugula. The cheese was excellent. I will spend some time to find the cheese. We then split an order of scallops that were perfectly cooked. Moist, but cooked. That was enough to eat and we ended with coffee. The service was excellent and Amy was our server. She was attentive but not obtrusive. Good meal, good service, but a little pricey.

1  Thank HalzBoston_Ma
Reviewed 5 September 2018

The Glass Onion is a classy 'joint', with simple but refined ambience and decor. It is not inexpensive, but for the most part, it's nice to have a dining experience that is not the run-of-the-mill Cape Cod large family eateries. The service was very attentive, with our server very knowledgeable about the menu as well as the Falmouth area. My wife and I shared the beet salad, ample for two, and then she had the Halibut special ($36) while I had the "7X Culotte", which may sound like a fashion statement but is actually a steak descriptor from Colorado ($35). Both dishes were quite tasty, prepared well and nice sized portions. The wine by the glass is reasonably priced ($9), while the coffee is not ($4), but that's just my pet peeve. All in all, it was a delightful dining experience (despite the table of very loud people nearby) and I recommend it if you are looking for a place that is special.

Date of visit: August 2018