“It's all about the beer- mostly!”
Review of Jack’s Abby

Jack’s Abby
Ranked #2 of 207 Restaurants in Framingham
Reviewed 3 August 2017

The 4 stars are mostly for the beer. I used to love this place and would have given it 5 stars a few months ago. The beer is still great, but the food and atmosphere have certainly changed.

The Abby had become our favorite late Sunday afternoon spot for an early dinner. We've been going fairly regularly since winter, when we first discovered it. It was love at first bite, and sip, literally. The beer was awesome, something for every palate. The winter menu was delicious and very reasonable. The specials were also interesting and delicious. They would offer grits that were better than anything I found in Nashville; now that's saying something! The service staff, efficient and knowledgeable and depending on who you got, lots of fun.

Fast forward to late Spring and I'm not sure what's changed. The beer is still awesome, but the menu is terrible. Aside from pizza, I struggle to find something to order. It's an odd mix of winter food (wiener schnitzel on a summer menu?) and other disjointed choices. The specials are usually a little overpriced for the size, $14 for two tiny chorizo taco's with beans and rice? They should have been $10, and that's pushing it. The service seems much slower and uninterested. One should never, ever have to wait almost 20 minutes for a beer in a beerhall, much less hunt down the server for a refill. Our server was new and seemed more interested in the computer system than actually waiting on her tables. No one on the staff seemed happy, such a change, and a sad one at that. I'm not sure we will frequent as often as we have been. We may go more for the beer and less for the food.

It's sad when a great place takes a downturn. A beerhall should be a loud, crazy, fun place to be. It's gone on autopilot and frankly isn't that much fun anymore.

Reviewed 20 July 2017

I have been to Jack's Abby a few times and I will say that their draft line is extensive. They have lots of options, which I appreciate. Their food is good, especially their flatbread pizzas. The downside is that it is always PACKED. And it's a large space. There have been times where I haven't found seating and have had to stand and I was not the only one.

Overall, it's a good local location for some good beer, decent food, and a fun evening out. However, when I went last month they seemed to have a lot of dark beers which seemed odd for the season?

Reviewed 12 July 2017

Jack's Abby is kind of a surprising find in Framingham--it's a genuine beer hall feel (like Germany) with a large open space and communal tables spread across the floor. There is a central bar area, with some smaller high top tables too. The communal tables have table service for food and drinks. In the warmer months, they have a small patio with outside tables.
The beer menu is extensive, as you might expect. They have around 20+ beers on tap, some regular standbys, and some seasonal and unusual flavors. They will also do tasting flights.
The food menu covers snacks like pretzels (warm and salty, my favorite!), plus pizza, salads, and various other entrees and appetizers. The food is quite good.
Overall, it's a noisy space, with no reserved seats, but if you are willing to enjoy a communal experience, it's definitely a great place after work or for a meal. Near the door, they maintain a gift shop with lots of T shirts and take-home growlers.
There is a large parking lot at the end of the block. Definitely recommended!

Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

Great place to check out their seasonal beers. They have a kitchen now that serves food as well (pizza and other finger foods).

Reviewed 9 July 2017

We love it here. Wasn't jammin during the week of July 4th... went twice. Good pizzas, meatballs, the mac with pork was very good (first time I had this... very rich though)... love the fruit cobler... and of course the great beers... service very good.