“Historic Landmark”

Ranked #32 of 147 Restaurants in Gloucester
Price range: US$0 - US$16
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 27 September 2017

In 1900 famed fingerless survivor of an ordeal at sea, Howard Blackburn (1859-1932), opened a tavern in the heart of Gloucester.
Today that landmark is a popular hangout for locals and the occasional tourist. It's on the lower less trafficed end of Main Street and easy to miss.
There are soup and salad lunch options with daily specials. Dinners clock in at the mid $20s for fish dinners.
We had a bowl of Italian Fisherman's Soup. It is a variant of chwder wiith a tomato base ($8). She had the lunch special of swordfish kebab. Lunch was uncrowded but it is packed in the evening.
The place has lots of charm and flashbacks of an era when guys like the legendary Blackburn risked their lives on the Grand Banks.

Reviewed 27 August 2017

I rarely write a bad review, however I believe the owner should be aware and visitors might also be interested. We dine at Halibut Point Restaurant when we head to Gloucester for our annual visit. There are a few things on the menu we really love, and so this year we when there for our anniversary dinner, along with some local friends.

It was an odd, uncomfortable and disconcerting experience. We left frustrated and hungry, and do not plan to return.

First, we ordered some drinks. There was obviously some mix-up as after receiving our beers (with nicely iced glasses), another waitress arrived moments later to fill the order. She was obviously displeased (it seemed, with us!), and smacked one more glass down on the table and then huffed away after some exchange with the first server.

Our orders were taken and my daughter and I were very much looking forward to our fish and mashed potatoes. Our plates arrived and there were some plain dry rotini noodles on the plate. I politely asked for the mashed potatoes, but was told they had run out.

I don't know about you, but I anticipate that if you are not going to serve me (yes - even just a side) what I asked for, that you inform me and then perhaps provide some suggestions for alternatives. I work in the hospitality industry, and that is what I would do.

When I mentioned this to the server, she said she was sorry, and that she had informed me when she brought my plate. (no she never said a word; I had to ask). Then she said that she had only found out when she went to get our orders. The kitchen only informed her then and there was nothing she could do about it.

By this time I was in the restaurant talking with two people, but they thought I was out of my mind (obviously a trouble-maker), and only kept saying, "I'm sorry." No offer of a vegetable or some substitution that might suit my palate. So, of course we were still hungry.

I suppose I should have simply stood my ground - had them take the plate away and replace it with something else entirely?? It was so very embarrassing as it was and completely ruined our special evening out with our friends.

We ordered dessert from a different server (we were now blacklisted and they were afraid to return). We finished our meal and left feeling just awful.

I picked up the bill and only added a $10 gratuity with a note saying "Very disappointing."

Halibut Point - sorry, but you have lost a good customer and I will not recommend you again.

I think that at the very least, someone should have apologized to the table and perhaps a comp beverage or dessert would have made it more palatable; save a customer. Do you think I am wrong?

1  Thank CDC0123
Reviewed 15 July 2017

Great chowder - fresh ingredients side of italian bread - awesome
Sandwiches are fresh
Meals are simple and delicious

Reviewed 11 July 2017

The service was fast and the waitress really nice. Good choices on the menu,something for everyone and delicious!
It'll definitely be our favorite when we get to go back. We highly recommend this delightful place

Reviewed 6 May 2017

This is a small historic building with a neighborhood bar feel. Food is deliciously consistent. The staff are awesome. If you're lucky you might spy a celebrate or two doing the incognito walk. Once you visit this place you'll understand why them thar Hollywood types and the REGULARS are regulars. Enjoy your visit.