“Average Experience at Shiro for Sushi”

Shiro Sushi & Hibachi
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 October 2014

Went to Shiro for a quick business lunch with one work colleague. Arrived at straight up 12 noon and the place was empty. This is the first time I have eaten here and I was a little worried about what the quality of the sushi would be. An empty sushi restaurant at high noon could mean not the best or freshest products. My fears were for naught.

The place was clean and tastefully decorated. Staff were friendly and attentive to our needs. Water poured. Drink orders asked, but we declined and just had water. Food orders taken and we were eating our food in about 15 minutes.

We both ordered maki roll lunch specials. My colleague ordered 3 maki rolls. I got 2 maki rolls and a two-piece order of tuna sushi. Yellowtail with scallions and spicy salmon were my 2 maki choices. The presentation was pretty straight forward with not a lot of creativity in the plating. The maki and the sushi both seemed fresh. The tuna sushi had good color to it. I think the soy was a full salt version and I really prefer the lower sodium choices that I have been served at other sushi bars. Too much salt in the soy sauce can really overpower your food sometimes. The wasabi was pretty strong, which I really like.

Our bill came to 28 bucks. Our lunch specials totaled 21 bucks and then I had ordered two pieces of tuna sushi on top of that. I thought the price was okay. We could also have both added soup or a salad to our specials for $1.99 extra and that would have been a good value, but we chose to skip that option.

I thought the dining experience was overall pleasant and the service was also nice. The price seemed reasonable and the maki and sushi were fresh and very good. I would go back for lunch again if I am in the area.

There are newer reviews for Shiro Sushi & Hibachi

Reviewed 29 August 2014

We have been here at least 20 times over the past 3 years. Our 2 person tab (no drinks) averages about $150.00 as we typically over-order and wind up taking lots home.
Nonetheless, the food compares to average NYC fare but also comes with a pricier tab.
While I never expect more than I pay for, you would think that, as a good customer, tipping well, they would consider dropping a complimentary soda or appetizer ... Especially when they know it's a special affair (ie Birthday).
We also find that we need to check that we received what we ordered as they have, on occasion forgotten to add them.
Presentation over the years also dropped several points as they moved from fanciful to just plain Jane.
It seem that they just don't have good business sense when it comes to treating customers in any special way.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

My husband and I have been to many hibachi style restaurants. The 'shows' the chefs put on are fantastic and fun. Our chef seemed so disinterested, which was the first disappointment we had with Shiro's. Note, our 'show' for six people lasted approximately 20 minutes. The drinks were our second disappointment. Hardly any alcohol in a drink that cost almost $8.00. Needless to say, we only had one each. Our third disappointment was the food, which was disgusting. My chicken had so much soy sauce and teriyaki sauce on it that I couldn't eat it....too much salt...couldn't taste the chicken. My husband's main dish was shrimp. Again, way too much salt and soy sauce on it to truly enjoy. Our server asked if we wanted to take it home...I said "no", as I wouldn't even serve it to my dog. Now that I've read several other recent reviews of this restaurant, I don't think we'll be back.

1  Thank dcjclckc
Reviewed 21 March 2014

While everything we ordered was palatable, there was nothing that stands out about this place. If you really want sushi in Great Barrington, this will suffice, but don't expect it to be memorable.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

We have been there twice. On our second visit, we enjoyed the food. However, later that evening we both had diarrhea--something must not have been washed well enough or not cooked enough.