“Beautiful day, nice sandwich, great cookie”

Rubiner's Cheesemongers
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

Gorgeous Indian summer day in the Berkshires – – had lunch at Rubi's sitting outside. We had the Rubiner, Rubi's version of a Ruben-- very tasty. For desert, had great oatmeal raisin cookie with coconut and white chocolate- yum.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

wonderful info, great selection, Mat Rubiner's knowledge is vast. Aside from a rich assortment of great hand picked cheese, there are wonderful specialty goods. Its a must go in the heart of Great Barrington

Reviewed 14 August 2017

We've been to this store a number of years and have purchased a variety of cheeses and charcute. Their products are very good; however, their prices are very high. The setting, in an old bank vault, is kind of neat.

Reviewed 24 July 2017

There's some excellent cheeses under this vaulted roof and I made a return visit from a neighboring state, in spite of being treated disrespectfully by one of the sales ladies, who bumped into me on her way to the cash register and didn't have the courtesy to say 'excuse me.' Still, I was willing to put up with the store's legendary unfriendliness for some above-average cheese. However, on our most recent visit, we weren't even acknowledged. There was a staff of at least 5 behind the counter, as well as the owner, who was in the middle of what looked like a prolonged transaction centering around coddling a demanding customer probably laying out some serious dough in the process. Other than that, we were the only other customers present on a sleepy weekday afternoon.

Not a single staff member greeted us or acknowledged us in any way. One woman even stepped out from behind the counter for a stretch, completely pretending not to see us even though we'd been standing there for several minutes. I may not be as high a roller as the brats who were being waited on, but I was prepared to spend at least $50 on cheese. We'll never return again.

And the story has a happy ending. Later that day while visiting Albany, N.Y. we had a polarically opposite experience at The Cheese Traveler, where we were warmly welcomed, attentively waited on, and made to feel like we were worthy of walking through the door.

Clearly thee's a payoff for owner and staff for looking down on some of their customers. Hope it's worth it. And it's YOUR karma...if that's how you wanna play it.

Reviewed 1 July 2017

Visiting the nice little town of Great Barrington, right in Main St, I saw was I believe was a Bank; Soon I find I was correct, yes it was a Bank, but long time ago.
A chalk sign outside offering special cheeses call my attention, and as a cheese lover I was “forced” to walk in to find out what was there.
What a pleasant surprise, immediately a counter with gourmet cheeses catch my eyes….the old bank was in fact “the” cheese store.
After check all the cheeses displayed upfront, I move to the side counter to keep checking, but I was surprised again by find a great selection of cold meats.
Later I find exclusive jams, juices and ….. chocolates too!
The attendants was very nice and knowledgeable, and explain me the properties of the cheeses that I was more interested on.
At that point I saw the Vault open, out of curiosity I asked what they saved there, and I was told that was the Manager Office.
Great Store, Great merchandise no easy to find, in sum a heaven for the cold meat and cheese lovers.