“Retro fun”

Ocean Kai Restaurant
Ranked #51 of 76 Restaurants in Hingham
Reviewed 3 January 2018

When we want the kind of Chinese food we enjoyed in the '60s, we head to Ocean Kai for combination dinner plates. Lots of old-style heavy food, really good Spare Ribs and classic Egg Foo Young gravy.
The bar is twice the size of the dining room, and is generally rowdy ... it's a neighborhood hangout. We don't like sitting in the bar area ... but the dining room is comfortable, old-style Chinese restaurant style.
We've eaten here many, many times over the years!
(For "fresher" and more contemporary Chinese dining, we go to Feng Shui in Cohasset or Beijing House in Norwell. See my reviews.)

Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

Saturday afternoon & I stopped into have snack & drink at bar. Multi TV screens at bar with R Sox on. Horseshoe shaped granite topped bar with friendly crowd.
I had great correctly made Fog Cutter at fair price. Good WiFi.
Scallion pancakes & veggie fried rice were terrific. I ate at bar.
Bartender always attentive to everyone !
Next door to is a boat dealer I did some window shopping as I walked out.

Reviewed 26 June 2017

I needed a place where food could be low salt and no MSG - they were happy to comply. Had shrimp and lobster sauce - which was still very tasty. The drinks were good and rolls and butter served with lunch. Extensive menu - and take out is available. I would definitely go back - restaurant was well lit and appeared clean. Restrooms were clean.

Reviewed 10 May 2017 via mobile

I had food from Ocean Kai at a party and enjoyed it, so I decided to try the restaurant. There was one other couple finishing their meal when I came in, as well as 5 or 6 people at the bar. I was seated and given a menu. The menu listed beers and wines. I ordered a Blue Moon. My server returned with a blue cocktail, apparently also known as a Blue Moon. I decided to give it a try since perhaps I wasn't clear that I was interested in beer. Way way too sweet combination of rum and fruit juices! I have a sweet tooth, but not that sweet! I ordered an appetizer of pan fried dumplings and a combo plate with crab rangoon, General Gao's chicken and fried rice. Both the appetizer and the meal arrived at the same time. The food was plentiful and tasted good. I finished approximately half and planned to take the rest home with me. I put my napkin on the table and waited for my server to come over. It took 10 minutes. She was chatting with patrons at the bar, watching "Wheel of Fortune", and hanging out without even looking my way. At this point I was the only person in the restaurant, so it's not like she was busy! She finally came over, and I told her I'd like to take the rest of my food home with me. She packed it up, and brought it over with my check and and individually wrapped fortune cookie, which was stale. I gave her my credit card, paid and left. The food was good enough that I'd like to try it again, but I will definitely do takeout!

1  Thank Louvrelover
Reviewed 2 May 2017

this was the worst place i have ever been lousy service lousy food
cold men over drinking and walking around UGG!!! very bad we walked out in the first10 min.