“Undiscovered Gem”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 21 December 2016

We went here after first deciding not to wait at another crowded restaurant. Boy were we glad we did. There was just one other table of customers so I guess people don't know about this place. There service was great without being pushy. The food was really some of the best Indian food we have ever had, certainly in the US. I ordered the swordfish tikka masala and my wife ordered the chicken vindaloo. I loved the swordfish, there was a lot of it and it was cooked perfectly. But the chicken vindaloo may have been even better. It was tangy and flavorful, not spicy like I am used to with vindaloo. We had both entrees over stuffed naan that was just tremendous. You really can't go wrong with the food here.

Reviewed 15 September 2016

If you are a lover of Indian food, do yourself a favour and stay away from this restaurant. There is no atmosphere and the food lacks authenticity and flavour. It tastes like it has come out of a box and thrown in a microwave. My husband and I are British and we are very fortunate to have a vast array of Indian restaurants on every corner in our town. We eat Indian food several times a month and The Pavilion is probably the worst Indian food that I have ever had.

1  Thank mbrinkley001
Reviewed 4 September 2016

We had high hopes for this restaurant. We appreciated that they had a small menu (we saw no beef, no butter chicken, no onion bhaji and several other classics) - we were hopeful that they just cooked their best dishes and regional specialties.

The samosas (vegetable) were very tasty and the poppadoms were fine, as were the dips/chutneys. But our main meals were a disaster. My chicken korma wasn't really creamy or coconut-y at all - it wasn't unpleasant but it tasted much more like butter chicken meets korma. I should have known I was in for trouble when the waitress had asked me how hot I wanted it. I automatically said "medium" (my default option for most things) but of course korma shouldn't have a heat level! It's a creamy, sweet and savory dish! It was also curiously salty. I love salt and this was pushing my limits. Combined with the dry, basic rice which has clumps in it the paltry serving of naan bread (it had some thick patches so it was unevenly cooked and it was one average sized piece, cut in half, for two people) -well, it was just forgettable.

My husband's vindaloo was even worse. The waitress asked if he wanted it hot or extra hot. He said extra hot and she confirmed that this meant two spoonfuls of chili instead of one. Yep, that's fine. But when it came out it was the mildest, most watery, most tomato-y vindaloo he has ever had. Heat and spice can be very objective but, having tried it, I didn't think it was any hotter than my 'medium' korma.

Not only was the heat non-existent, there was just no complex flavor. Vindaloo shouldn't be confused with tomato soup! And when he cut into the potatoes, he could see that the red sauce didn't permeate them at all - so even had the sauce had been good, the potatoes would not have absorbed any of the flavor. Sadly, no one came to ask us how our meal was so there was no opportunity to talk about things.

Our expectations for an Indian food restaurant in the middle of Cape Cod were modest. But this restaurant feel short of even that.

1  Thank papillonvlc
Reviewed 25 July 2016 via mobile

Very bad service. The server lady who seemed to be the owner as well refused to take order of only 3 items and told us that we need to order more otherwise she cannot take our order.

The food was also very bad . I will not recommend that place to anyone.

Reviewed 30 June 2016 via mobile

Party of seven for dinner, great food. Lovely variety of vegetarian and meat dishes...great service by owners wife. The owner also present and when asked for a special request of bindi, (okra) he obliged...I would highly recommend a visit.
My only criticism would be, the restaurant is too bright, they could do with dimming the lights for more atmosphere and also some background music would have been nice, again to add atmosphere. But overall, a lovely night.