“The tastiest Food In the Most Unpretentious Atmosphere Near Lenox”

Alpamayo Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 48 Restaurants in Lee
Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 August 2017

We had 3 dinners in our recent visit. Alpamayo was by far the most satisfying. The service is friendly and unpretentious and though serving a basically non-Peruvian clientele, it seems (from my limited knowledge of Peruvian cuisine) that its' authenticity is well above par.
Recommended: Ceviche, esp the mixed seafood; salad of any type and oh those a la carte string beans, which the lovely server told us "she just made up as she cooked them". Waxing poetic about string beans? No, not really, but THESE were out of this world.
The Pisco Sour was delightful, as was the rice served with my wife's excellent seafood dish (she's still talking about it) . Not recommended:the French Fries. There are better choices as side dishes.
Though the Peruvian chicken (one of my favorites in this cuisine) was more than acceptable, I would recommend ordering anything with seafood, even to the point of having ceviche as the main course. It's that good.

All in all:excellent value, not pretentious ( a relief when looking to dine in the area) and exceptionally tasty. What's not to like?

1  Thank ADog56

Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

This little jewel on Main St. in Lee, Mass. serves up delicious, generous dishes of Peruvian food with a whole rainbow of South American flavors. Various combinations of shrimp, calamari, fish, and rice are always freshly prepared and are as beautiful to look at as well. I recommend any of the side dishes, as I have tried most them(!). The fried yucca is the best I ever had. Wonderful, friendly service and a complete bar round out a terrific dining experience.

1  Thank bklynmarc
Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

Very good unusual dishes, good service, nice presentation. My friends had never had beef heart or ceviche. Skeptical but once tasted liked very much. Accompanying green sauce especially good.

1  Thank Margaret C
Reviewed 9 August 2017

What a disappointment. My wife and I enjoy Peruvian food, reminds us of a trip we took some years back. It’s also unique enough and rare enough that we have it that we thought this highly rated restaurant would be a particular treat. In light of the high ratings and the fact that it was bustling on a Wednesday night we went in with high hopes.

It started off promising, with a chica marada that tasted just right…refreshing and just a little sweet. Perfect. Alas, what followed was a bland plate of flavorless ceviche. I’ve been disappointed by ceviche many times but had really hoped that this popular Peruvian place would break that trend. But it was bland mixed seafood with just a hint of spice…not the tart, flavorful ceviche I had hoped for. Just rubbery chunks of seafood flesh in a thin, tepid sauce that tasted vaguely of limes and chilies

We followed it up with the Cau Cau Marisos, a dish billed as a mix of vegetables and calamari. I was incredibly disappointed to find that the “vegetables” consisted of diced carrots and peas, clearly from either a can or a bag of frozen. That it one of my biggest pet peeves, exceeded only by being served flavorless lukewarm rings of squid that have clearly been just thrown into another dish…no flavor, barely warm. Yeah, this dish featured that too. So an exceptional disappointment, a made-from-frozen flavorless fiasco.

Clearly this place is popular so maybe my wife and I just made the wrong choices…everyone else was getting shrimp and rice. Maybe that is good, I would not know. But it was abundantly clear from our meal that this restaurant does not know how to do ceviche (a Peruvian signature dish) and they cut corners on their produce and their seafood prep. Unacceptable in my book, this place deserves 3 stars on a good day. It didn’t help that they were seriously overwhelmed and the service was slow to boot.

2  Thank Retinol13
Reviewed 8 August 2017

Food was tasty, portions were generous, and the price was right. I had a chicken and rice dish that I enjoyed very much. We have been going to Alpamayo for a few years. It is conveniently located on the main thoroughfare in Lee.

1  Thank artmuseumgoer