See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 September 2016

wife and i had an enjoyable 3 nigth stay at pleasant hill shorlty after labor day. operators warmly welcomed us into their lovely home. the garden suite was large, comfortably furnished and well equipped. new wifi repeater allowed dual internet access throughout. though not mentioned on web page this suite had a small refrigerator. the separate sitting and sleeping areas and private deck afforded separate areas for those with differing sleeping habits.

ph's grounds are beautiful, the location convenient to all marblehead (& salem area) has to offer yet is in a very private. breakfast otions were excellent and offered a wide variety. overall good value for excellent accommodations.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2016

I chose Pheasant Hill based on internet customer reviews and the inn’s own mediocre web site. Overall, the Inn exceeded my expectations. I booked the Garden Suite months in advance, to be sure I got it for my travel period. One other suite was occupied while we were there. Our rooms (sitting room, bedroom, bathroom and private exterior deck) were surprisingly large and pretty. The bathroom is modern. There is a window air conditioner in the bedroom. Wi-Fi reaches the sitting room but not the bedroom. The TV is a standard-def, cable-connected, 19” flat-screen. Breakfast is better than described on the inn’s web site (not a full breakfast, one seating around 8:30 am). No evening coffee (it would be nice if the inn could add a K-cup coffee maker in a public area).

I found the hosts to be very pleasant and proud of Marblehead/Salem, on those occasions when we interacted. Nancy met us when we arrived at 5 pm, but a later arrival (different guest) received written instructions and didn’t meet the hosts until the next morning. Bill is always scurrying between projects and won’t linger long to talk. Expect to see them only around breakfast time. The location is on the outskirts of Marblehead (not walking distance to anything). There is a cat which we occasionally saw. On a couple occasions PRIOR to arrival, I had trouble contacting the innkeepers by phone or email, only to finally get a response claiming they had never received my emails or voice mails. (Once you’re at the inn, they provide an emergency phone number, which we did not use.) The innkeepers don’t check email or voice mail often, they expect check-in at an hour that fits their schedule, they serve breakfast at a specific time, and they expect ample notice for any guest adjustments to all this (if you can figure out how to contact them). We had no problems with all this.
The window A/C unit in the Garden Suite blows onto the bed and is a bit loud. A larger TV would probably not impact utility costs (hi-def would be nice, but that could be expensive). A wi-fi extender might provide a signal that reaches the bedroom.
Local weekday traffic in Marblehead and Salem is heavy and parking in tourist and shopping areas is difficult, although there is a multi-level garage in downtown Salem. I never saw a parking ticket, but signs limit the parking time in busy areas. Museums typically don’t have dedicated parking, and if you’re parked in a 2-hour space, how do you also squeeze in some shopping? They should offer tourist stickers saying, “I’m spending 10 or 15 bucks per person at every one of your little museums, so give me a break on parking.”

This B&B review sounds negative, but for tourists and family visits, PH is a stunningly beautiful and peaceful place, well appointed, and a good value. This is not a good place for business travelers or stay-in workers because there are simply no guest services after 10 am.

Room Tip: Garden Suite is great.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2016

All is perfect: Nancy and Bill are wonderful people ready to help in everything. Rooms are furnished with taste and elegance, breakfast is gorgeous. All is absolutely clean including perfect bathroom.
Malblehead is a charming town with many things to visit.
One of the best B&b we ever went to !

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 July 2016

I stayed in the Garden Suite and it was perfect. It was nice to have a private porch to enjoy the beautiful weather. Nancy and Bill were friendly, and very helpful in pointing out local places of interest and good places to eat. I would return in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: I did not experience the other rooms but the Garden Suite was awesome.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 July 2016 via mobile

We usually stay at the Fairmont in Boston but we wanted a more coastal vacation this time. From now on, we will stay at Pheasant Hill instead. It was so quiet and cozy. The breakfasts were so healthy and yummy. We stayed in the birds nest suite. It was so cozy. We could see the ocean from our bedroom window and hear the waves crashing on the beach at night if we opened our window. The public indoor and outdoor spaces were perfect for reading a book or just viewing nature. We will absolutely be back!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family