“Dinner and fun at the zoo”

Galliford's Restaurant and Tavern
Ranked #4 of 18 Restaurants in Mendon
Price range: US$5 - US$30
Reviewed 5 September 2018

Good food and a fun atmosphere overlooking the zoo. Family friendly restaurant with good choices for everyone. I especially like the pizza and wings.

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed 28 August 2018

I went to this restaurant with my family yesterday after a day at the zoo. We drove 60 miles to this specific zoo because my children wanted to sit in the nice patio they have where you could see the zoo from a high level while having your meal (they knew this by a friend). We get in the hostess says the wait time was 20 minutes despite all the empty tables that could be seen from outside the dining room, but we agreed to wait. About 10 minutes passed and this gentleman walks in looking very elegant and classy, he tells the hostess that he and his family are looking to have a nice meal in the patio but the wait is too long, that he will go outside and check with his wife to see if she wants to wait that long. He walks out, the hostess starts to act like nervous because the man was leaving, then she decides to to go chase him out to the parking lot. She waited for them to put a stroller in their nice SUV and then they all walked in. The hostess proceeds to seat them in the only table left in the patio area while we were sitting there still waiting like fools. The she comes back and offers us a table inside, the one right behind her desk, the patio was all the way in the opposite side of the dining room, we asked if there were any tables left outside and she just said no with a very dry tone. My family and I just left the restaurant. I called the manager from the parking lot but the manager was even worst, she did not manage the situation well at all. she gave me the excuse that the table given to the other party was for 4 people and there´s no way she could fit 5 there. She never apologized to me or said anything to try to solve the situation or at least to try to change my perception of the restaurant. I felt very powerless and humiliated, my husband felt discriminated because we are Latinos, it was a very embarrassing experience. One thing I will never forget is the sad look on the faces of my children. Nobody deserves to be treated this way! Upper management needs to step in and retrain their staff, hostess and manager, if they want to stay in business, this is not how you treat customers.

Date of visit: August 2018
Cindy L, Owner at Galliford's Restaurant and Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2018

Upon reading your reviews and comments, the management at Galliford’s felt that this situation could not go unrecognized. First, we are sorry that you feel that you were discriminated against in any way at all! We would like to assure you that this was not the case and our employees would never deny anyone a table based on their color, race, or class.

After speaking with the hostess and the manager that were working on the day of the situation our understanding is that your party was too large for the patio tables that were available at the time. The party that came in after you was a small group of 3 and there was a table available to accommodate a small party. The way that our patio is set up is that we have two tables that can accommodate larger parties and if those are unavailable we would then have to put together tables located next to one another. When you were waiting to be seated on the patio neither of the two large tables was available and there were no tables next to one another that could have been combined to fit your party of five. We again assure you that it had absolutely nothing to do with race or class. The motto of Galliford’s is “From our Family to Yours” and we can absolutely promise you that we would never treat family in that way. We are taking this claim very seriously and will be looking into the situation extensively.

Reviewed 24 August 2018 via mobile

We have dined several times at Gallifords. Always inconsistent. Food inconsistent and service always gets something wrong. Worse experience was ordering the special fish and came out almost raw! Sent back and 20 minutes later...even more raw. Second worse experience was Thursday evening on patio. Came back with my daughters as we enjoyed the music , brick oven pizza and environment. Ordered pizza again,however, this time ... we didn’t get the brick oven pizza, we got a small doughy pizza they serve in the zoo! For $16!!! Never again.

Reviewed 2 August 2018

This restaurant is accessed in part from the Southwick Zoo. I have found most such attraction-related venues to be tourist traps -- high prices, low quality-- and only went into Gailiford's because everyone was tired and hungry and it was there. It wasn't great, but it well exceeded my dim expectations. The venue is pleasant and the menu was decently varied. Prices were just a bit higher than perhaps they should have been, but nowhere near the gouging level in some tourist venues. Three adults and one kid had a chicken gyro ($13). a ruben burger (burger with corned beef and sauerkraut) ($15). a regular ruben ($14), and a child's menu cheese pizza ($9). Fries, etc. came with the meals. I don't recall that drinks were free, but I don't see them on my bill, so they must have been. The service was so slow that we had to go to the desk and press for a server to come to our table (even though we had bee seated), but I sense that was just a miscue rather than a regular issue. Once a server was found, she was pleasant and efficient. If I wasn't at the zoo, I can't say I would travel there to go to Galliford's. But if you are a the zoo, and it is a good one, Galliford's is a reasonable choice.

Reviewed 19 July 2018

We ate here after visiting the zoo because we were starving and didn't want to drive far. There weren't many people in the restaurant, but that didn't help us get more attentive service. Our server barely came around to see if we needed refills on drinks, and took her time checking on us. The food was a little better than the service. My sister liked her reuben sandwich, and my fried haddock tacos were ok. My daughter liked her veggie burger. But we all agree that the fries were not good. They were overcooked and didn't taste right. This place was a bit pricey for what they offered. This restaurant is fine if you don't expect too much.

Date of visit: July 2018