“Awful!”

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Buffet
Reviewed 23 April 2017

We're foodies who know and appreciate a good meal, with my lovely partner having managed a very successful Boston restaurant. The experience at Minerva began with a dirty fork, and maybe that was a sign of things to come. Here's the rundown: sweet corn chicken soup was bland, and could have come out of a store brand's can. The fried jalapeños consisted of bland, brown dough with a dry, puny, empty pepper inside; like a corn dog without the dog - but even a corn dog's dough has a flavor. It was served to us on a bed of raw sliced onions. I asked for yogurt sauce, but the waiter brought a thimble of a pink puree that was bland and, frankly, was no match for the dry dough. After dissecting a few of these, we sent them back. The chicken korma consisted gloppy, bland, orange sauce poured on square chunks of chicken. It was shamefully lacking in authentic Indian spice and substance. The fried cottage cheese appetizer was overcooked, like they fried an old, dry sponge. It was somewhat flavorful, but, like everything else we sampled, was lacking in the anticipated flavors of India. The masala tea was so-so. The garlic nan was dull, not at all like one coming out of an oven in Mumbai, but more like one coming out of a bag from the local grocery store and warmed in a microwave. A lamb appetizer we ordered never came. The touché was the fish masala, which should be named fish "mASSala" because it really did smell like the terminal end of the GI tract. We could not eat it, and instead of sending it back, we chose to take it home to play games with the olfactory system of our friends. Indian food should be a complex, kaleidoscope of earthy, pungent, fragrant flavors! For anyone who has been fortunate enough to eat quality, home-made or truly authentic Indian food, this place is an embarrassment.

1  Thank Scottford

Reviewed 6 March 2017 via mobile

My first and last time at this restaurant. For those who are new to India food, their meals could pass the test (with a "C"), but I have been to India many times and do know what really good Indian food is. I expected really authentic Southern Indian meals because this place was recommended by my friends from Hyderabad, but the cuisine, service and cleanliness of this restaurant was a big disappointment for me. I am surprised that my buddies from Hyderabad gave "Minerva" a nod: I have tried the food they cook at home and the meals at this restaurant cannot come even remotely close to their homemade Southern Indian dishes.

The ambience is also of a very low level, the decor is tasteless, the service is basic (to say the least), so there is hardly anything that will call us back.

If you want to try the most delicious Indian food and be treated as a dear guest, go to "Paani" in Sudbury - you will not regret it.

Reviewed 2 March 2017

Provides Indian food. With a touch of South Indian food. I felt the place was not as hygienic as normally one would expect. But the food was good enough.

Reviewed 16 February 2017

First, the atmosphere isn’t the best for a comfortable meal. Like many Indian restaurants, there are too many people on the wait staff with little to do. One paced up and down the aisle between the tables, constantly watching the patrons. It made us feel like we were eating in prison. Second, the food is mediocre. Forget about anything with lamb and meat in general, except chicken which was cooked a bit too much and dry. One shrimp dish was so hot as to be inedible (and I love very spicy food). Another dish had large inedible leaves in the sauce. The condiments didn’t even include the expected chutney sauce. There was one sad looking desert, a kind of runny rice/yogurt dish. I suggest that you not look back at the person in the kitchen who is preparing the food or you may not have much appetite left. All of this cost $25 for two people without drinks. The verdict? Won’t be going back any time soon.

Reviewed 13 February 2017

We have been Visiting this place since 2008. Great food. Big buffets and good service.have catered food for many parties. Everyone loved it.

Been to Minerva? Share your experiences!