“Not just sushi”

Ranked #94 of 261 Restaurants in Newton
Price range: US$0 - US$12
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Reviewed 4 February 2017

Neither my friend or I were in the mood for sushi, so we had other choices on the menu and enjoyed good Japanese food and rather young and efficient service. All in all it was fun, although they should really serve red wine at room temperature, not chilled. However wine is probably not a staple on Japanese tables. Approved.

Reviewed 9 July 2016 via mobile

The atmosphere of the restaurant is similar to that of restaurants of Japan, with the Master chatting in Japanese with customers sitting at the sushi bar. We ordered the chirashi zushi and enjoyed how fresh the sashimi was. The colors and presentation of the chirashi zushi made it even more appetizing. The wait staff, however, seemed a bit distracted and slow.

Reviewed 8 May 2016

Go there with friends, with your significant other or alone at lunch or dinner, for 30 years the Japanese food here has been served fresh and flavorful. Tekka maki, California roll, maguro sashimi and broiled unagi are favorites. Casual atmosphere and good value.

Reviewed 15 October 2015

We love this homey Japanese restaurant in West Newton. Very casual and comfortable, with good food. We recommend trying it and think you'll like it as we do.

1  Thank TheBostonTravelers
Reviewed 11 August 2015

There's no place like it. I've been going to Shogun since it opened more than 30 years ago and its quality has not wavered at all. Ito-san, the sushi chef, has consistently turned out some of the best maki, hand rolls, and sashimi I've eaten -- and being a sushi lover who travels this is an educated comment. Order the Second Wife Roll (spicy version) or the spicy Scallop and Avocado salad or, if you're not in a sushi mood, Oyako-donburi, my personal comfort food. The Age-dashi Tofu is also excellent as is the house salad. Sukiyaki is a big fave of some of my dining partners (I've gone there with just about everyone I know).

1  Thank jessical1439