“really good”

Ranked #26 of 176 Restaurants in Peabody
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 20 April 2017

We got some take out one night during the week as we do often since the wife comes home late from work. We used Tennessee's for my son's graduation last year and it was a hit.

She had the pulled chicken with mashed and mac-n-cheese which she absolutely loves and said this time as well that is was great. I tried her mac and it was really good, creamy, simple, not a ton of salt. I had the Caribbean chicken, dirty rice and cuke salad. The chicken had a nice kick to it, the salad excellent and the dirty rice was good as well.

She loves the cornbread so we got a side of 4 and that too was excellent.

Tennessee's gives you good portions, tasty, not overly salty food for a good price, a dinner with 3 sides for under $15.

We will be back often as we live close by and I will sample more menu items.

Reviewed 3 February 2017

This is a great place to have BBQ, period. The reason I gave it an average rating is because it is average for a good BBQ place. Yea, maybe I am a wanna be critic.... but I have experienced BBQ Nirvana. You know what I mean... think about the best BBQ you ever had..... Yup, there it is. You never forget. Anyway.... I am glad to see this place is still going. Have been here over the years when in the area. Must have changed owners, but still relatively the same.
This menu has wet BBQ. I went with the brisket & ribs combo, collards, mac cheese and mashed taters w/ meat gravy. Comfort food at its finest. Brisket was a little dry, just a bit. The ends were. The ribs were good. Not falling off the bone, meat clung on there, but was tasty. Collards were ok as was the mac cheese. The meat gravy on the taters was very good. Will set you back $22 and change... Add a beer and you are $27 into it. You will not be hungry and may take some home. I did..... Menu has smaller plates and sandwich options. They have Sam Adams on tap, soft drinks, beer and a soda fountain.
When I was there it was all kinds of folks, literally....young old, black white, hippies & squares. BBQ seems to bring people together. Had a good vibe. Solid place. Check it out....

Reviewed 28 September 2016

Tennessee's has great BBQ from the pulled pork to brisket, all of their offerings are terrific. We especially enjoy the cucumber side dish and usually double the order this when have two sides. The have wonderful sauces that you serve yourself in this 'rustic style' eatery.This restaurant has been here for a couple of decades and no wonder why it is a success. It does BBQ - right.

Reviewed 13 September 2016

I had a strange request to see the brisket because in New England I keep getting some weird non-brisket when I order brisket and am tired of it esp when I came from the south. I was given burnt ends and point cut, finally some actual flavor. The mac n cheese is the thinner style elbow mac but not overpowering. The corn bread is on a okay level corn meal style without actual corn but not dry and not very mosit. The staff wern't happy campers but they still do their job so it is what it is. Total $11.50 before tax.

Reviewed 29 July 2016 via mobile

After enjoying great seafood during a family vacation to Boston, Tennessee's BBQ was a great change up. The food was really good. Probably the BBQ I have ever tasted in the Northeast.