“Best falafel I ever ate!”
Review of Karoo Kafe - CLOSED

Karoo Kafe
Price range: US$0 - US$16
Cuisines: African, Middle Eastern
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch
Description: This is a SOUTH African restaurant. It is Zagat rated.
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

My mom had read excellent reviews about karoo kafe so we went here for lunch on our visit to p town. I got samosas and the falafel. This was the first time I had tried a falafel and it was to die for. I've tried falafels around where I live (in CT) and I have just been disappointed. I've actually been wanting to take another vacation to provincetown just so I can go back here. It is inexpensive but everything is excellent.

1  Thank cottagecat22

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Had always wanted to eat there because their menu intrigued me. Orded the Curried Slaw and a side order of 3 pumpkin kibbys.

The salad was good and fresh, a crunchy combination of chopped cabbage, apples, raisins, carrots with a spicy dressing.

The Pumpkin Kibby is one of my favorite Middle Eastern appetizers / snack foods.
I was very disappointed. Instead of the traditional bulghur wheat and pumpkins shell stuffed with pumpkin puree and shaped into something resembling a cylinder with pointed edges and then fried and served piping hot I got some cross between a meatball and a patty of some mush not tasting of anything specific. It had been previously cooked and somewhat reheated (microwave?)
Don't think that will return there.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

On an uncharacteristically cold and damp day (at least for our stay in Provincetown), we found the aromas at Karoo Kafe warm and inviting. We enjoyed the veggie combo platter, Cape Malay Stew (with shrimp) and Peri-Peri shrimp. The subtle yet complicated blending of spices made each bite enjoyable, all at a price that is low by Provincetown standards (most appetizers are less than $10, The stew and peri-peri shrimp just shy of $15). In a town with so many great culinary offerings, we are still determined to visit at least once more before leaving to enjoy some of the many more offerings that caught our attention. Make this part of your "must" list while visiting Provincetown, and you will not be disappointed. Have your canine friends in tow? Not to worry, they live up to their "pets always welcome" motto (including a bowl of fresh water for thirsty four footed friends). Vegans and vegetarians in the family will relish in the many choices, and gluten-free options are also available.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Small cafe, serves 'global cuisine". This spot is billed as having S African cuisine but it's more African/Indian fusion. This means, you can try some adventurous foods that your American palate will recognize. Offers vegan, vegetarian and gluten free meals.

1  Thank Sarah W
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Cute, casual place. Flavors are spot on Indian/African. They do some twists with some of their menu items that are unexpected that it would be helpful if described on menu (ie. kibbe is deep fried and the size of a siver dollar, and this weekend was actually pumpkin kibbe not lamb or ground beef as expected. We had ordered the kibbe from the alacart menu so wasn't expecting a portion of the pumpkin kibbe that was on the entree menu.) Just be sure to ask . Service was friendly.