“Service Lapse”
Review of The Coach Grill

The Coach Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
The Coach Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 26 Restaurants in Wayland
Price range: US$25 - US$40
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Old Connecticut
Reviewed 24 February 2018

Not my best experience here. The place was so busy that we weren't seated till 30 mins after our reservation... then it took a very long time for our apps. Was nice that management, recognizing the problem, comped our apps. The wine I ordered wasn't in stock. The food was good but the dining experience suffered. Usually much better.

Reviewed 5 February 2018

My wife and I came to the Coach Grill as a date night. We hadn't been there together under its relatively new ownership, and most times I have gone, it has been for corporate holiday lunches with limited menus. It is quite popular and so a bit crowded, but we were seated in a nice side room that was a bit more calm. The server was friendly and efficient. The wine list is very good and there is a terrific selection of wines by the glass. I had a special salad with greens, cinnamon dusted baked apple slivers, toasted pecans, blue cheese in a vinaigrette dressing. Although larger than I needed, it was very good and I finished the whole. My wife started with a warm spinach salad that ids typically served as an entree accompaniment. She loved it! I had a baked lobster stuffed with crabmeat for my entree. It was perfectly cooked and accompanied by a wonderful corn pudding. My wife had a ribeye that she said was delicious. We got a side of cauliflower in mornay sauce that was a great accompaniment to both entrees. I have to get back here more often!

Reviewed 22 January 2018

I love the old school, cozy feel of the coach grill and the food and service have always been very good. Our salad was huge, so we split one and I had the prime rib with a big to go box. The prime rib was delicious and I love to have leftovers and there were plenty. I also love the broccoli with mornay cheese sauce. Absolutely great. They also have a wonderful selection of wines by the glass if you choose not to order a bottle. We will be back again

Reviewed 10 November 2017

We are locals and have been to Coach Grill many times. It's always an interesting experience...hit or miss but consistently expensive. And this time that experience was validated. The food was relatively good but the bartenders indiffernet and frankly disinterested. That was a new experience for us as we found the former bar staff to be engaging and service oriented. I think you could do a lot better!

1  Thank barbaracL5266GD
JoeBattafaranoGM, General Manager at The Coach Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your most recent visit. We apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations or our standards. Our goal is to provide our guests with impeccable service and a wonderful meal. I would like an opportunity to learn more and mend the situation. Please email Joebattafarano@coachgrillrestaurant.com and I would be happy to speak with you.

Reviewed 9 November 2017

Driving through Wayland on the way home to Wellesley we decided to stop in on an old favorite - The Coach Grill. It's gone through a few stylistic and culinary iterations over the years, ratcheting up the finesse and prices at each step along the way. We found seats at the bar and had a look at the menu. I chose the Chicken Piccata and my wife settled on the rotisserie chicken. Be forewarned this may be Wayland but the pricing is Downtown Boston . I'm not sure how a $49 sirloin can't include a side or two, or how 9 ounces of Jordan Cab is $33.

Setting that aside for the moment, the food was flavorful and properly prepared and the service at the bar was a bit frenzied. My Piccata was well balanced and not too acidic but the mound of jasmine rice didn't really fit the entree. Maybe less rice and some grilled asparagus would have been better (I could have ordered the vegetable for $9 but it would have been way more than needed). My wife's chicken came with a medley of vegetables in a tomato broth-like sauce. For dessert we ordered the Skillet Cookie which was lovely.

As I said in the title of this review this restaurant has been around in one form or another for 70 years and it seems to have decided to aspire to become a suburban Grill 23 or Smith and Wollensky. I didn't have steak so I can't tell you if they measure up to either.

The menu needs some fine tuning - the seafood list needs a cod dish, the meat list needs a burger (elevated with either waygu or a short-rib/sirloin blend) and the dessert list feels incomplete.

Overall it was good to very good and we'll come back again. It's come a long way from its Howard Johnson's roots. There's more work to be done, but its on the right track.

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your most recent visit. Our goal is to provide our guests with impeccable service and a wonderful meal. We truly appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again soon.

Been to The Coach Grill? Share your experiences!