“Very good, largely seafood restaurant far from the sea in Worcester, Mass.”

The Sole Proprietor
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: West Street
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We knew this is a very popular place in Worcester, but we had not known it is so large and so likely to be so full, but it was a Friday night at 7pm, so perhaps we should have known. Sole Proprietor is a very large restaurant, but very well designed, with several rooms and a a good bar. It is also very lively, but we found it friendly and fun. Service was excellent, with several serves making sure we wanted for nothing, one of whom returned to make absolutely sure she understood how we wanted one of our dishes prepared.
We had a mixed dozen oysters from Massachusetts, Connecticut and Maine, very well prepared, variously briny or sweet and clean and delicious. Ellen had a very large portion of steamed clams, with a very good cole slaw accompaniment. I had a very good salmon orzo "salad"; the salmon was specially good; the pasta was also very good and the salad was just fine too. With a couple of glasses of Copain Chardonnay to accompany the food, we were satisfied and happy. A good place to eat, especially for the seafood.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I ordered haddock with a lobster newburg sauce, It was delicious, however, the portion was very small. It came with mixed vegetables which had no taste and were not cooked properly, they were almost raw. The rice that accompanied the dish was also flavorless. It was very pricey and for the price I paid, the food should have been much better. We also noticed that everyone that was seated around us received a nice little dish of dinner rolls, we did not and had to ask. Our waitress apolgoized and brought us some promptly. Also, the hostess was a young girl with a totally inappropriate outfit on. It was a short, extremely tight dress and was clearly not something a high end restaurant should allow.

1  Thank Paula E
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Top of the line Restaurant. Great Sea Food. High Prices, you get what you pay for!
Had favorite GIN, Gun Powder Gin from Ireland

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is known by all those that enjoy a nice bar and an excellent restaurant as the place to go! It is always full from business lunches to fine dining in the evening so make reservations! or go before lunch hour kicks in - limited parking!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Wow wow wow! I have only been one time for dinner and I remember it being good but this lunch was absolutely fantastic. We were hungry so we ordered calamari and tuna poke right away. The calamari was good, crispy and tender. The tuna poke stole the show. Served over a bed of greens on crispy wontons with avocado it was to die for. I could have easily eaten an entire plate of that!

I ordered the Irish smoked salmon and the seafood chopped salad. The smoked salmon portion for an appetizer was surprisingly large. The salmon was super tasty and accompanied by capers and chopped onions, perfectly traditional and exactly what I was looking for. The seafood salad could quite possibly be one of the most delicious salads I’ve had in my life. It came served in a stack and as you dug in and opened it up, it was literally full of surprises and flavors with every bite. An absolute must if you go to this restaurant.

My husband ordered the clam chowder and the pear and walnut salad. He was very pleased with the chowder and although I’d didn’t try it it looked rich and creamy and he said it was delicious. He enjoyed the salad but I think it was too heavy on the dried cranberries for his liking. I took a bite and thought it was fantastic. The pear specifically was so good.

The resturant was packed at 12:00 on Tuesday and the service was still wonderful. Highly highly recommend.