“You get what you pay for”

Knights Inn Battle Creek MI
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Battle Creek
Reviewed 3 June 2017

There's nothing fancy about this place so don't trick yourself into thinking it's a nice hotel. If you do you'll be really disappointed. I didn't expect much going there. I just needed a cheap place to stay for one night. Overall it was clean enough for me to go to sleep. It definitely could use some work. It was pretty dark inside and the bathroom was quite used. I went with my son and I was glad my wife and other kids weren't with us because I would say its not a family motel. They would've found a Hilton or something similar to stay in. We didn't use the pool because it was too cold so no comment there. The free breakfast had very little options. it was ok though. Again you get what you pay for. I left neither mad nor happy but I was glad I only spent one night there. I don't think I would've stayed two nights.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 30 March 2017

I was attending a family funeral near Battle Creek, Michigan. I had my 96 year old father with me. We made reservations for a 2-night stay, requesting a handicap room as my father uses a walker. This place was dreadful and the managers a nightmare. The room was crummy and dark. The "handicap" part was a joke. The rack for clothes was so low to the floor it could not be used, therefore we hung our clothes on doors around the room (quite inconvenient). There was NO room to manuever my dad's walker. There certainly would not have been room for a wheelchair. Worst of all the managers were horrible. After the first night, the management disabled the key card, which made us late for the funeral because as we were loading up, it was quite inconvenient to be locked out. On the way to the funeral I called multiple times, no one answered. Then for the next 3 hours the management continually called me on my cell phone harassassing me about payment (even though I had a 2 night reservation, and they ran a credit card as hotels do, they wanted me to immediately come back and pay them cash for the first night!) Their relentless harassment was quite upsetting (receiving calls between the funeral home and the cemetary, the cemetary and church and at the wake at the church. Because I was 40 miles away, and had given them a credit card #, as well as a 2nd night stay that night I could not understand the rush to come back to motel to give them cash. They threatened to throw our stuff out of the room! They said they would not honor the 2nd night unless we paid more than the reservation price. After the funeral functions, I went back to the motel, packed up our stuff and checked out, paying in cash as they insisted. Then they proceeded to ALSO charge my credit card!! I have wasted a lot of time reporting this and getting my money back from the credit card company. This place was a nightmare. The managers were horrible, they were foreign with an accent, insulting us for being "Americans" (they are the guests in our country, but apparently feel they have a need to take over America!) Their attitude towards Americans was appalling! I reported this all to the parent company, The Wyndham when I returned home. The manager had the audacity to call me several days later, at my home, to harass me about reporting them and giving a bad report to The Wyndham, calling me a liar and other names. DO NOT STAY AT THIS PLACE. It is not safe.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
nilesh p, Guest Relations Manager at Knights Inn Battle Creek MI, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2017

Dear Guest,
The reservation that you had made through the internet was for only one night. You have said that you made the reservation for two nights and we had asked you for the proof of the reservation being made for two nights and you did not provide us with this. Sense you made this online you should have been provided with an email to confirm your reservations and how many nights it was for. For your first night you asked us not to charge your card because you would like to pay cash in the morning and we agreed. The next day you did not come to the front desk at the time you said you would to give us payment. This is the reason that we had to call you to see when we would be receiving your payment. When you were contacted you told us that you were booked for the two nights. This is when we informed you that your reservation was made for only one night not two. You came to make a payment at 8pm and only paid for one night. If you are still in the room after 11am you are supposed to be charged for a 2nd night. But we did not charge you for the second night. After you left our housekeepers had informed us that your room was trashed ( again we did not charge you for this either) we had to put this room out of order for 3 days in order for us to clean it. This is a quote from your review on Tripadvisor "they were foreign with an accent, insulting us for being "Americans" (they are the guests in our country, but apparently feel they have a need to take over America!)" We feel that your comment was very uncalled for and racist. We have been very fair in this matter and would like you to know that we are indeed Americans and human beings too. Just like you. We have contacted our corporate office and you have now been banned from any Wyndham Properties . You will be receiving a letter from a corporate office lawyer about this matter.
If you would like to contact Wyndham 1-979-753-6000

Corporate Management

Reviewed 14 October 2016 via mobile

Pet friendly. Wouldn't give us toilet paper when we needed it. Said it was locked up with the house keeping supplies. Made us feel dirty! Room needs to be updated badly! Room was dirty and the bathroom needed to be cleaned. Beds were uncomfortable. Don't recommend this hotel...

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2016 via mobile

If you need a place to stay for cheap or suddenly it will do what a KI is meant to do.
Pros: New, big TV. Comfy bed. Updated sink. Pool availability. Air Conditioning. Near highway, McD's, gas station, and Lux Cafe.
Cons: Filthy and stained lamp shades. Holes in the walls and doors. Broken tiles in bathroom. Not enough outlets. Hide behind other businesses in a dimly lit area.
All in all it worked for the short overnight stay.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 June 2016

To neighboring hotels this placed is referred to as a "flea bag". The inside of the room smelled dirty and smoky. The door to the bathroom would not close and the bottom was de-laminating. The bed spread was stained and there were numerous cigarette burns in the furniture. The walls were messy and carpet dirty. The toilet was actually just sitting on the bathroom floor and when I sat on it it leaned over to the right against the wall and came loose from the floor. SHUT THIS PLACE DOWN! From vehicles in the lot many landscapers and tree trimmers put their male crews up at this place. The fence around the pool was broken in many places. YUCK.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business