All reviewsliving roompalmer lakeice creamboat rentalscabinlakesidefridgemichigannibblesparlorstovepanscafe
Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed at the Palmer Lake Lodges / Lakeside B&B for a night at the end of July and found it to be a quaint and enjoyable experience. While there are a number of cabins/cottages on site, we stayed in a 'log cabin' themed room in the B&B building which had everything we needed for an overnight stay. Polina, the host, was very accommodating and also cooked up a wonderful hot breakfast for us in their quaint ice cream parlor/cafe at the water's edge. Check out her website.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2016

I had a wonderful experience staying here. Polina, with whom I spoke to on the phone, said that they were all booked up with a wedding group. But she said one of the rooms in the B&B was not coming until Saturday. So she let me stay in that room for the night. They could not have been more pleasant to deal with. Her father is a really nice person and they made my stay there extremely nice. Polina and her sister made breakfast the next morning, and it was great. I rented a pontoon and toured Palmer Lake. All in all, I was a memorable time on such a beautiful lake with such a nice family. This is truly the best kept secret in the area.

Room Tip: I stayed in the B&B room, which was brand new. The bed was extremely comfortable.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank dhink802
Reviewed 10 August 2015

First impressions were not good at Palmer Lake Lodges on Palmer Lake in Colon, Michigan. If you were in a pinch and like it rustic, this would be ok, if you're ok with cobwebs and a few other inconveniences. The photos on their website (by the way the website was changed after we booked in February) are nothing like the cabin we stayed in, except perhaps the kitchen and that looked the same. And the fully furnished kitchen needed to have at least 1 sharp knife and a potholder or two. I would have never thought to take a potholder with me! I know they said to bring your own towels, but I expected at least one dish towel in the kitchen, but there was not. The website says modern cabins...I would question the modern part.

Now I must say that we visited a few weeks before our arrival to make sure the cabin would sleep the 7 of us, she couldn't show us cabin #1 because it was locked (that is where she had us booked, because it was a bit larger than the rest, but just a bit) but she showed us cabin #3 instead. It was pleasant and appeared to be good for us. The website says it sleeps 8 comfortably...that is not true unless they bring in bunk beds, as they will do, but that would make for a tight squeeze. Our cabin had a double bed in one room, a double bed with a bunk above it in the other bedroom (they do go wall to wall) so if you are tall, it probably wouldn't work for you, and we had a futon in the living area. There was a loveseat that a child could sleep on.

Upon arrival we met the young lady who runs the business and she is very kind and helpful. She was happy to tell us the cabin was ready for us. She took us in to show us around and I was surprised that this cabin didn't look like the cabin we visited previously. I was pretty "grossed out" when I saw the large floor rug in the living room area covered with dirt and dog hair, as it was evident that nobody had vacuumed since the previous renters were there. The loveseat was also covered with dog hair. She told us that there was a light outside the back door, but probably not good to use it because it draws bugs to the area...well we didn't need to worry about it, because of the 3 outdoor lights on the outside of our cabin, none had bulbs in them.

My husband went and asked for a vacuum cleaner to clean up the dog hair and she immediately came and started vacuuming. The bedrooms are tiny and dark and have old outdated dirty carpet in them. On the floor in the doorway to one bedroom were tacks sticking up out of the floor from a tack strip and my daughter stepped on them once and remembered after that to step over! Speaking of floors, ours had linoleum (not glued down) in most of the area other than the bedrooms which had a very rippled/wavy effect. It appeared to have been laid down over indoor/outdoor carpet, and I wonder what kind of condition the carpeting was in that was covered up.

The one bedroom had a dresser in it and in the 8 inches between the dresser and wall it was disgusting. It appeared that nobody had bothered to clean, dust or vacuum that area in a very long time. There were lots of cobwebs, a spider egg nest, and dirt (see pictures). I checked under the bed and it was the same way. I couldn't sleep the first night in that bedroom wondering what may be crawling on me. So I moved to the fouton in the living room from then on. The cleaning crew, if they have one, does not pay attention to those areas when cleaning. There were many many cobwebs and some small spiders in the cabin. It was obvious, though, this room hadn't been cleaned well in a long time.

The bathroom always had hot water (a plus) but the floor had some kind of cutout right in the middle. I'm guessing that is how they access the plumbing. It's a square cut out and then put back into place, so when you first step on it, you think the floor is rotted away, but it's not. And just from the 4 days we were there a big old brown stain appeared from where the water dripped from the shower head. It didn't look rusty as most iron stains, but dark brown. Also, speaking of bathrooms, they supply the toilet paper, but when she told us the cabin was ready for us, there was only 1/2 of a roll of 1 ply toilet paper :-) for the entire week for 7 people. The owner did bring us another roll (yay..2 ply). They also supply you with a roll of paper towels for cleaning, etc.

For the cabin being ready for us when we arrived, I think the only thing that had been done were beds made up and even then, after seeing the cobwebs and the condition of the other things in the cabin, I even wondered if the bedding was clean or not. I am assuming it was, but again not sure, so we slept on our own bedding. My husband and daughter had issues with their noses plugging up every time they entered the cabin. :-(

It does have a full size fridge and stove and small microwave. Kitchen appears to have been updated and is nice with the exception of a couple of broken chairs at the table. They wobbled so much I would worry about anyone sitting on them.

Good idea to bring bottled water and ice, as the water is high in iron.
Only has wi-fi if you walk up to the B&B, as it doesn't reach the cabins.
No room for 8 to sit comfortably. Seating for 5-6 so if it rains and you have to stay
inside, some will have to sit on the floor or bring in lawn chairs.
Each cabin has a firepit and a charcoal grill, we used neither of them.
There are two ceiling fans and a window air conditioner which helped to keep things cool.

Room Tip: Don't choose cabin #1..that is not ones pictured on website.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
4  Thank bearmom465
Reviewed 1 August 2015

Casual modern cabins loaded with amenities. Located just a few feet from the sparkling shoreline with boat rentals and an ice cream parlor. Loved all the outdoor games and waterfront patio. Really loved having air conditioning and cable in such a rural rustic area. It was also great having the little town nearby with a grocery store, gas station, restaurants, and shops. My family loved that they're pet friendly and the hosts and neighbors were all very pleasant. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2015

This is one of those "You get what you pay for" places. It was a good deal as far as cost and I was lucky to find this place because I really waited to long to make plans of this type. Anyway, my family had a great time just because we were all together for the weekend.

They provide a lot of amenities that make it comfortable, dishes, pans, coffee maker, grill (although I'm not fond of charcoal). They also provide bedding, but we checked in on Friday and was short on bedding for 3 beds until Saturday. Also, they were not prepared for us upon arrival. They knew we had 9 people, but didn't bring in the last bunk until after we checked in at which time they brought the bed, mattress and spider webs. The blender worked but it was ancient and it smoked. They ask you to sweep and vacuum before you leave, but the floors were unswept when we checked in and the vacuum they provided worked but was falling apart, so they had it strapped together. A storm rolled through on Saturday evening and the power went off for about 15 seconds. After the storm, the owner came out and asked everyone if they had power, but his accent is so heavy, I didn't understand what he was asking my daughter. She didn't even know who he was and once she realized he was talking to her, she said "I'm sorry, what?", he yelled "ELECTRICITY, am I talking to myself here!"

The photos are misleading, as far as the cottage I was in, #4, which is kind of run down. I have to say though, it was decent enough to sleep and shower, a step up from tent camping. Make sure and bring drinking water. The iron content is so high you can smell and taste it. All the sinks and shower are orange from the iron.

The piers are nice if you rent a pontoon or just want to enjoy the pretty sunsets. The beach is a mile away, small but clean, water is clear. This wouldn't be my first choice, but I would stay here again, if it were the only lake cottage available.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family