“Very nice place to stay”
Review of Hostel Detroit

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Detroit
Hostel Detroit
Reviewed 6 August 2017

Arrived there late at night because of a multi-hours unexpected delay at Chicago airport to Detroit, I was locked out of the front door because my code was not valid. After a call to the hotline, I was given a temporary code and I was able to enter the hostel. You have a giant blackboard in the entrance with all information you need, especially when you are late like me. The staff is responsive via e-mail or phone. It's a pleasure!

This hostel is like a travel house in a quiet district. You can cross the bridge over the highway, go on Michigan Avenue and enjoy restaurants. I recommend the Astro Coffee, they have great pastries for breakfast. This avenue can lead you to the downtown in about 30 minutes of walk. You have a grocery store behind the Michigan Central Station.

I rented a car at the airport because I was travelling from Europe then to Florida with a few days at Detroit. I didn't use public transportation or taxis. I was parking in the street, there is plenty of free space. Be careful though, I've got a fine because I was not parked in the way of driving. This is my fault, an easy avoidable mistake but controls are real, even in this area.

I've met some wonderful people in a lovely place. I highly recommend you to give it a try if you like hostels. Fantastic experience!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 8 June 2017

I've only stayed in a handful of hostels, but still I'd like to say that Hostel Detroit is so far my best favorite. The management team's hospitality is the biggest charm. They offered me the best experience I could expect from hostel/dorm stays. If I ever get a chance to travel the Detroit area again, I would totally go back to this hostel.

Pros:
- Great location right off Corktown. Felt totally safe walking around the neighborhood as a solo female traveler. 20-30 minute cab/shuttle ride from Detroit Metropolitan Airport. 10-15 minute cab rides into essential areas of the city. A simple 20 minute bus ride to East Dearborn. Simply put, you can pretty much reach anywhere in about 20-30 minutes.
- Awesome staff members. All of them very friendly and welcoming, super knowledgeable and passionate about Detroit. They got me interested in the city much more than I expected, and also made me feel at home. I need to note that they were kind enough to pick up packages for me and keep them until my arrival. Greatly appreciated.
- Unlike what is stated in older reviews, the dorm rooms and facilities are kept very, very clean.
- The showers aren't the flimsy shower booths you might find in other hostels; they had proper bathtubs, which means reduced worries of water leaks (it happened a lot to me in other hostels).

Cons:
- It's a mixed-dorm-only hostel. I would have had less hesitation before booking if female-only dorms were available. Although to be fair, it seems like the mangement team arranged the room assignment to make our 4-bed dorm room a de-facto female dorm, which was very nice.
- The showers sometimes behaved oddly (hot water not running etc). They were usually OK after some while, so it might have been a random thing. I did not feel too fussy about it though, since we were allowed to use other bathrooms on other floors if they were vacant.
- The rooms aren't the roomiest. It might not be a good idea to come in with a lot of luggage.

Other info that might help:
- Bath towels are provided, free of charge.
- They have some complementary breakfast items. Also some communal food items that you can use for your own cooking. Yay.
- The nearest grocers (Honey Bee Market) is 15 mins away by foot, but totally is worth a visit. Loved their house guacamole.
- If you're there on Saturdays, be sure to join the free ambassador tour conducted by Kevin. He'll take you to the up-and-coming places in Detroit that you might have never heard of.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Mna310
Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

I'm so glad we decided to spend 2 nights at this wonderful gem of a place. The rooms are perfect, the staff are friendly and very helpful. We are 2 older professional women who wanted to see and experience the real Detroit - this was the right choice and I would recommend it for anyone who is committed to authentic travel. Bicycles can be rented onsite and staff share their favourite destinations and characteristics of this fascinating come-back town.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Linda K
Reviewed 3 June 2017

They promote Detroit culture and innovative community initiatives like no other hostel I've been to... and the staff are awesome. Do take the tour on Saturdays... Thx so much for the hospitality and helping me discover Detroit!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 May 2017 via mobile

A nice neighborhood and building. Great budget stay while in the D. Has all you need. Good and helpful people. I would recommend this hostel to anyone including my friends. I look forward to revisiting and staying here in the future.

Stayed: May 2017