US$200
US$279
US$276
US$260
  • Room Service
The Inn on Ferry Street(Detroit)
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$169
US$196
US$158
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$199
All reviewscentral stationmichigan aveambassador tourlarge kitchengreat cityfelt totally safevery nice place to staysafe areamotor citylate at nightbeds were comfortabledormdowntownastrorebirthcomputerslaundry
Reviewed 17 October 2017

This is one of the best hostels I have stayed in and I would describe it as offering a more 'premium' experience to others.

Pros:
- Great location in a safe area close to Corktown with plenty of bars, cafes and restaurants nearby. It's safe to walk the streets even at night time.
- Possible to walk into Downtown (20-30min)
- Nearby the famous abandoned Michigan rail station building
- Spotlessly clean
- Very spacious rooms
- Great decoration throughout
- Comfortable beds
- Large kitchen and common area
- Fast wi-fi service
- 2 x desktop computers free to use (very fast internet connection)
- Friendly and welcoming staff on hand for most of the day
- Sociable atmosphere
- Outside area which looks like it could be fun in summer months
- Laundry possible
- Some communal breakfast items available

Cons:
- I really struggle to find a fault with this place, only problem was I couldn't stay longer as it was fully booked!

Thanks to Zac and Evan!

Room Tip: All of the dorm rooms looked good to me, 1st floor has it's own kitchen
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 September 2017

First visit to Detroit and stayed one night at this hostel. I am used to staying in hostels with downtown locations but Hostel Detroit is quite far from the heart of downtown so I would only recommend this place if you have a car. The city bus is not very frequent in Detroit. The staff here were nice, though.

I asked for a lower bunk at the time of booking and, to be fair, was told there are no guarantees. I was in a small dorm and ended up with no choice but upper bunk, which didn't have any safety rail, so if you are a restless sleeper you could roll over and fall off. I worried through the night about this and did not get any sleep.

I phoned for a taxi using the number recommended on the hostel notice board but the taxi did not show up. Ended up walking with suitcase down Michigan Ave to Rosa Parks transit centre on a hot day. Next time in Detroit I will book a budget hotel in the downtown core.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 August 2017

Arrived there late at night because of a multi-hours unexpected delay at Chicago airport to Detroit, I was locked out of the front door because my code was not valid. After a call to the hotline, I was given a temporary code and I was able to enter the hostel. You have a giant blackboard in the entrance with all information you need, especially when you are late like me. The staff is responsive via e-mail or phone. It's a pleasure!

This hostel is like a travel house in a quiet district. You can cross the bridge over the highway, go on Michigan Avenue and enjoy restaurants. I recommend the Astro Coffee, they have great pastries for breakfast. This avenue can lead you to the downtown in about 30 minutes of walk. You have a grocery store behind the Michigan Central Station.

I rented a car at the airport because I was travelling from Europe then to Florida with a few days at Detroit. I didn't use public transportation or taxis. I was parking in the street, there is plenty of free space. Be careful though, I've got a fine because I was not parked in the way of driving. This is my fault, an easy avoidable mistake but controls are real, even in this area.

I've met some wonderful people in a lovely place. I highly recommend you to give it a try if you like hostels. Fantastic experience!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 June 2017

I've only stayed in a handful of hostels, but still I'd like to say that Hostel Detroit is so far my best favorite. The management team's hospitality is the biggest charm. They offered me the best experience I could expect from hostel/dorm stays. If I ever get a chance to travel the Detroit area again, I would totally go back to this hostel.

Pros:
- Great location right off Corktown. Felt totally safe walking around the neighborhood as a solo female traveler. 20-30 minute cab/shuttle ride from Detroit Metropolitan Airport. 10-15 minute cab rides into essential areas of the city. A simple 20 minute bus ride to East Dearborn. Simply put, you can pretty much reach anywhere in about 20-30 minutes.
- Awesome staff members. All of them very friendly and welcoming, super knowledgeable and passionate about Detroit. They got me interested in the city much more than I expected, and also made me feel at home. I need to note that they were kind enough to pick up packages for me and keep them until my arrival. Greatly appreciated.
- Unlike what is stated in older reviews, the dorm rooms and facilities are kept very, very clean.
- The showers aren't the flimsy shower booths you might find in other hostels; they had proper bathtubs, which means reduced worries of water leaks (it happened a lot to me in other hostels).

Cons:
- It's a mixed-dorm-only hostel. I would have had less hesitation before booking if female-only dorms were available. Although to be fair, it seems like the mangement team arranged the room assignment to make our 4-bed dorm room a de-facto female dorm, which was very nice.
- The showers sometimes behaved oddly (hot water not running etc). They were usually OK after some while, so it might have been a random thing. I did not feel too fussy about it though, since we were allowed to use other bathrooms on other floors if they were vacant.
- The rooms aren't the roomiest. It might not be a good idea to come in with a lot of luggage.

Other info that might help:
- Bath towels are provided, free of charge.
- They have some complementary breakfast items. Also some communal food items that you can use for your own cooking. Yay.
- The nearest grocers (Honey Bee Market) is 15 mins away by foot, but totally is worth a visit. Loved their house guacamole.
- If you're there on Saturdays, be sure to join the free ambassador tour conducted by Kevin. He'll take you to the up-and-coming places in Detroit that you might have never heard of.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Mna310
Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

I'm so glad we decided to spend 2 nights at this wonderful gem of a place. The rooms are perfect, the staff are friendly and very helpful. We are 2 older professional women who wanted to see and experience the real Detroit - this was the right choice and I would recommend it for anyone who is committed to authentic travel. Bicycles can be rented onsite and staff share their favourite destinations and characteristics of this fascinating come-back town.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends