“Spa needs improving”
Review of MGM Grand Detroit

Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Great massages terrible management. I struggled with how to write this review since my previous experiences here (I've been a guest with a group of 2 or more over 5 times) have always been great! I bring people back when I can. I was so unbelievably disappointed with my last trip to MGM spa that a review is necessary for change. I booked 4 massaged for an occasion to have a little outing before my Mother-In-Laws double mastectomy the following Tuesday. Very emotional surprise for a very loved woman. I was clear a group of 4 and we wanted to spend time together before the big surgery. I was very excited as I always tell everyone what an amazing spa experience I've always have here. This place is an oasis in the city. It's like going on a vacation for the day. I've only passed on rave reviews. It started out in a bit of a panic. My mother in law had lost a $150 gift card we had gotten her. We surprised her the day-of and she was prepared and did not have the gift card on-hand. I called the spa just to see if they would have all this information on hand in records and they simply said no, unless I have the receipt and then we could request from card supplier. It worked out and she found her card, but know I know NEVER to buy such a large amount gift card that has zero traceability. We get to so and everything is great the massages are amazing per usual. The cold washcloths no longer are with cucumbers slices. No big deal. We grab some large chairs out by the pool and relax, read and order our food. Our food which was estimated 45-60 min was not there yet when we were ask to consolidate our 4 large chairs to 2. The chairs can sit 2, snuggle but it is still comfortable. We are told these large chairs are called cabanas. Not really definition of cabana, but ok. We co plain but oblige apparently they booked a party who booked 'cabanas.' I ask why I wasn't offered to book one as I would have splurged to do so. Only groups of 5 or more it is offered. I've been in a group of 5 and it was never offered to us. There are no signs for this either. We oblige and the 4 of us sit in 2 cabanas. Then about 10 minutes later the same woman realize she miscalculated or the party added on I'm not sure and now claimed she needed all the cabanas.... meanwhile our food in order not arrived. She offered us 1 cabana on other side of pool and 2 straight folding chairs. We complained and she said 'sorry these are contracted out you have to move.' We obliged, but were not happy about this and moved to 1 cabana (just a lounger for 2) and 2 straight chairs so they could set up for the party. We get our food about 45mi after we were asked to move. The entire time the cabanas reserved for these parties remained unoccupied. One woman from one party who witnessed this actually offered her cabana when she left for her 2 hour long pedicure. We have photos of the unoccupied cabanas. I wish the whole venue would have been twittered. It was unreal. We had 5 empty cabanas behind us and 5 empty cabanas on the other side of pool that were 'reserved' we are the rest of food and left to go shower and get ready. Meanwhile the entirety of about 2 hours these 10 cabanas remained unused. The manager gave us free day passes, but honestly that whole experience was horrible. We didn't let it ruin our memory of togetherness, but it sucked that the manager did that to our group. I will not be recommending with my glowing reviews anymore. Honestly with the right manager response it would never have gotten to an online h. She could have easily given us an hour heads up, she could have asked for one person in the group to give us the cabana for an hour until we received our late food, she could have offered to comp our food bill, she could have offered to add on a service. As I stated no where does it state the cabanas are rentable and not always available for use.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
MGM_Resorts, Manager at MGM Grand Detroit, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Noelleymarie:

Please allow us to express our most sincere apologies for the uncharacteristically disappointing experiences you encountered during your time at IMMERSE Spa. As a long time patron of this highly touted and renowned establishment, you rightfully have come to expect a consistently satisfying experience in all aspects of your visit. We deeply regret the shortfalls you detailed in your review. As your commentary is not attached to your reservation, we encourage you to contact our Customer Service team through the email address provided below. We value your patronage and look forward to hearing from you shortly.

customerservice@det.mgmgrand.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,126)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The room is over priced for what it is, if you open the refrigerator to put in a pop, it thinks you took liquor and charges your room, good luck getting it removed from bill. No coffee pots in rooms, they only have it in the lobby.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business

Dear Dawn M:

We are disheartened to learn your visit to MGM Grand Detroit fell short of exceptional. Thank you for offering your perspectives on our accommodations, pricing, and the provided in-room amenities. We apologize for any billing miscommunications, as well as for any difficulties you had with regards to the in-room mini bar system. We are grateful for your feedback as it helps us gauge our performance and make changes. We hope that despite these inconveniences, you will consider giving our resort another try.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I had Highhope's for the MGM Grand in Detroit. I had stayed here when the hotel first opened. It was lovely. My oh my how things have changed.

We had come to Detroit to see Jerry Seinfeld at the Fox. Fabulous! We brought my daughter and her friend. I had booked a double deluxe room. When we checked in that room was not available. The desk person was very sweet and tried her hardest to accommodate us. We ended up with two king-size rooms next to each other. Needless to say this made me feel very uneasy having my 18 year old daughters in the next room.
When we came back down to the lobby a huge fight broke out! Security guards were overpowered and could not handle the crowd. Finally more security guards were sent in and yet the fight continued and kept spilling over and moving throughout the lobby. We were astonished.
needless to say, I was even more worried about my girls.

The next morning we went to the tap room for breakfast. They said nothing off the menu was available we could only do the buffet. First we couldn't find a clean table to sit down it. When we approach the buffet there was literally no food on it. There was nothing left. It was 10:00 AM. I asked if there was a manager available. This guy came up and said, "You got a problem?" Now that's exactly how you should greet an unhappy client! He just said they were behind and if I didn't like it I could go elsewhere. Nice.

In the end when we checked out the front desk was very apologetic. They comped one of the rooms and the sparse breakfast. We do appreciate this effort but I don't think I will be returning.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JudeFM

Dear JudeFM:

The circumstances you describe regarding your recent visit to MGM Grand Detroit are most troubling and certainly not reflective of the secure, pleasant, and wholly welcome atmosphere our resort is known for providing. Please allow us to apologize for any disturbances you may have encountered, as well as for any shortfalls committed by our restaurant staff. We have forwarded your concerns to our management team for review and to help further our training efforts. If you would care to discuss your concerns further, we encourage you to contact our Customer service team at the email address provided below. We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to a more enjoyable experience in the future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

MGM Detroit was a nice hotel, but not what we were expecting. The restaurants and bars were limited especially on Saturday and Sunday mornings. The casino was average, and the dealers were less than engaging. You felt like you were bothering them by sitting at their tables. Luckily we weren't there for the casino or entertainment. We needed a nice hotel close to the Little Caesars Arena and Downtown. From that standpoint, the hotel was perfect. Location, location, location. That was the best thing about this hotel.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Chris F:

While we are certainly glad you found our location perfect for your needs and our resort quite pleasant, it is apparent that MGM Grand Detroit fell short of exceeding your expectations. Please allow us to apologize for any unwelcoming interactions you had with our Table Games staff, as well as for any inconvenience caused by the operating hours of our dining establishments. We are grateful for your review and will consider your feedback as we work to ensure a more satisfying experience moving ahead. Please afford us the chance to better meet your needs, the next time you come to town.

Reviewed 23 October 2017

Was here two days (Thur and Fri) to attend a conference on Friday. Previous reviewers were correct, the smoky casino is a real buzzkill (literally).

The faint smell of cigarette smoke permeates the the entire first level area - casino, pub, front-desk, etc. It makes you wonder how the employees stand it. My eyes were watering and I was fearful that my good business clothes were going absorb the smoke. Fortunately it does not extend into the hotel itself because of the floor-to-ceiling glass divider...the entrance is under the watchful eye of a doorman too.

The Wolfgang Puck restaurant, thank goodness, must have a special filtration system because I could not detect any smoke in there. By the way, the food and service is excellent and the sommeller is quite knowledgable about the wines. He patiently listened to my When-Harry-Meets-Sallyesque descriptions of what I wanted in my wine and hit a home run.

The gym is well-equipped and is accessible through the spa, so you have to sign in at the front desk. There are towels and bottled waters at each machine, which I thought was a great touch. Machines were all operational and look like they are maintained regularly.

The room was immaculate. I loved the colors - reds, purples, golds (lamps were white light) with some silver thrown in. Robes, slippers, and ample-sized towels come with the room. The bathroom came with a walk-in shower (overhead nozzle as well as regular) and water closet. (both were frosted glass). I really liked this concept. Good work MGM!!

I also had the opportunity to eat at the sports bar...the food is not very good, even by bar food standards. The waitress, however, was very friendly and provided good service. She asked us if we wanted to box up the food for later...and I didn't have the heart to tell her that the real reason why I didn't want to box up the food. Please MGM Detroit, do something about the pub food.

Overall, I'm giving MGM Grand four stars...opportunities for improvement include doing something about the smoky casino (I didn't gamble because I couldn't stand the thought of spending more time than necessary breathing in stale smoke) and the bad pub food.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Mach91
MGM_Resorts, Manager at MGM Grand Detroit, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2017

Dear Mach91:

It is certainly encouraging to learn that your time at MGM Grand Detroit was a very pleasant and positive experience. Thank you for offering your deeply encouraging review of our friendly service, excellent dining venues, opulent accommodations and well equipped fitness center. We regret you had some concerns about our restaurant Tap, as well as disconcertment regarding casino air quality. Rest assured we will consider your suggestions as we work to better meet the preferences and needs of our patronage. We appreciate your review and hope you will consider another stay in the future.