“Great course, need better control”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Ranked #5 of 6 things to do in Freeland
More attraction details
Owner description: Designer John Sanford has fashioned a dramatic course with impeccable playing conditions.
Reviewed 16 October 2014

This is a great course which I always enjoy playing, even if it's only once a year or so. Holes five and six, which feature an apple shaped green and an apple shaped bunker are truly enjoyable without being 'tricked' up. Most disappointing and the reason for the so so review on our recent visit was the pace of play. Our round rolled right along until hole seven where our group caught the group in front of us, who were waiting on the group in front of them. This is a par three so to have three groups on this hole was concerning. The problem was the front foursome was part of a group of eight which when not playing as an eight some stuck around to see how their buddies were doing. The group immediately in front of us called the pro shop and they sent out a ranger who talked to them but once the ranger was out of site it was back to doing their own thing. I talked to the pro shop when we finished and was told their was nothing they could do about it. I find that hard to believe. We flew for the first six holes and our round took 4:45. Their round had to be 5:15 to 5:30- I think the course can do something.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

This is a gem of a course. Very challenging! The quality of the whole course was quite incredible especially this early in the season. Tee's to Greens were immaculate.
We drove 3 1/2 hours to play this course and we were more than happy.
This course has some spectacular views with gorgeous homes, waterways, and trees all that were beautifully groomed.
If you are looking for a getaway to do some golfing here is that place! Very inexpensive, especially for the quality. It is only 7 miles from the Saginaw shopping and restaurant district.
Something very important to us is having the beverage cart looking after us. This course is probably in my top 10% for service. They were there regularly and the cost was quite reasonable.
I hope to convince others to join me at this course again soon!

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Very well maintained challenging course. Nice overall facility. Halfway house was closed on the day we were there so a little far to go for food between nines but well worth it. Staff, including the Starter, Ranger were very friendly and helpful. Definitely on my list to play again when in the Saginaw area. Great view from elevated areas (top of the ski runs).

Reviewed 29 July 2013

The last time I went I didn't the summer dusk special which is nice if you want to get some golf in before dark and save some money doing it. The course is well maintained and has some difficult shots from the top of their ski hill.

See more reviews
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Recently a group of friends traveled to Freeland, MI to play golf. One member in our party is disabled and cannot golf. He just wanted to be out for the day spending some time with friends. Apple Mountain wanted to charge him for the honor of riding in their golf cart. First, let me tell you our disabled friend when able is a seasoned golfer.At times in his life he carried a 2 handicap. He is very respectful of golf courses, and has played Apple Mountain several times.

We often times travel in a group. Almost always our friend joins us and keeps our scores, or comes up with games and challenges for the rest of us to play while he patiently watches from the sidelines. He is non weight bearing and unable to walk. He doesn't even step foot on the grounds or cause any ill-repair to any of the courses we visit.

We were shocked when Apple Mountain wanted to charge him to ride along with us. What cost was it to them to have a person sit in their precious golf cart.

Apple Mountain should be ashamed of themselves and the way they operate their business.

We are letting all of our golf friends know about this and we will never visit Apple Mountain Golf Course again and hope you won't either.