“Best pad thai I have ever had!”

Rak Thai Downtown Market
Ranked #525 of 1,017 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 13 September 2016

My sister and I each had the pad thai with chicken and felt that it was the best we have ever had. I can't wait to go back and see on their website that they have a couple of other locations. She and her son raved about other items they tried too!

Date of visit: August 2016

Reviewed 24 April 2016 via mobile

My husband and I visited the GR downtown market last weekend for the first time. I have been craving for bubble tea for so long after moving to GR and decided to stop by RAK to get a cup before we leave. Well, bubble tea is supposed to be bubble, milk, and tea. My bubble tea came out to be like a frozen shake with ice milk, and the the flavoring of honeydew. No where did I see the liquid tea that's in it nor did the flavor taste good. I have tasted 10x better bubble tea in Lansing and in Canada. I was very disappointment and not to mention that my husband later told me that the guy who made my bubble tea didn't wash hands nor wear gloves when he made it. He was using his phone and accepting my money before he dug his hand into a jar of honeydew powder using a small scoop and made the bubble tea. It just made it feel a bit disgusted and wonder if he had any proper food safety training prior to working there.

Please note that this review is solely based on the bubble tea and the customer service experience at this RAK. I didn't comment on the food, but the experience is enough to make me don't want to go back.

Date of visit: April 2016
Reviewed 1 January 2016

I had a hankering for Thai while visiting from out of town. We ordered four entrees for four people and could have gotten by with three. The chicken Pad Thai was good. The peanut curry was very flavorful. The drunken noodles were delicious. I think we all agreed that our favorite was the Beef Bulgogi. The crab cheese wontons weren't great. The fries as mentioned by another reviewer were surprisingly good. The prices were very reasonable. They had my food all ready in about 10 minutes.

Date of visit: December 2015
Reviewed 28 December 2015

Took a trip to the downtown market the day before Christmas Eve. There was a good size crowd that day, not quite bustling, but lively and festive. I love Thai and probably have Thai for lunch or dinner at least once per week. I've eaten that the Rak Thai on Northland Dr. a couple times. My wife really likes it, but it's not my favorite in GR or even my second favorite. (I prefer Little Bangkok and Thai Taste, downtown.) But, on this occasion, I was hungry and my wife bought me their "red curry" with chicken. I was quite surprised!!! The veggies in it seem very fresh and the flavor and heat were remarkably good. I was VERY impressed, especially given that there's not much of a kitchen there to speak of. I would definitely return!

Date of visit: December 2015
Reviewed 23 December 2015 via mobile

I know it's strange but one of the best things about this casual Thai restaurant is the Rak Fries. Just trust me and try them.

My wife enjoys the drunken noodles and says they're great. I can speak about the red curry. I get it medium heat which is about right. It's a fair portion for the price.

Considering it's a casual restaurant the speed is fine, flavor good, and cost fair. Thumbs up.

Date of visit: August 2015