“Americanized Irish Pub in Grand Rapids”

O'Toole's Public House
Ranked #145 of 955 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Reviewed 8 July 2015

O'Toole's Public House is another in a very long line of pubs in the US that calls itself "Irish". Okay. No thick-brogued Irish laddies or lassies behind the bar, no shepherd's pie, no pot roast stewed in Guinness--even the Reuben plays second fiddle (on the menu) to a Cuban sandwich. They have tons of Michigan beers and specials on pitchers of Sangria???

Ah, but that's okay, because what you get in O'Toole's is a homey, friendly place with great (American) food, good drink specials, an excellent staff, and peanut shells you can chuck on the floor (always one of my favorite things to do).

Off the downtown circuit a bit--over by the GVSU campus--O'Toole's is definitely worth taking the time to find. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 2 July 2015

We had to visit a place with our name. My husband and I were on vacation doing the GR Beer Trail. This was not on the map, but it came up when doing a search under nightlife. The reviews weren't great, but it happened to be on our way back from the zoo. I was a little apprehensive about going in, but i am so glad we did. The appetizers that we ordered were phenomenal( the cheese soup and the loaded fries that they are known for) Anne was a wealth of knowledge about the GR area and the revitalization of the west side of the river. She knew all the customers that came in for happy hour, so I think it lends itself to be a local's spot. The place was clean, food was good, and the bartender made us want to stay all day. If you are looking for a local spot with a true Irish Pub house feel this is worth a visit especially if Anne is working!

Reviewed 19 December 2014

I have visited O'tooles on several occasions, and have not been disappointing. Their happy hour is good and the food is delicious. The wings are good and they have free peanuts that you throw on the floor. Towards the evenings on the weekends, the place gets pretty busy with a little younger crowd, but it was always a good environment. O'tooles will continue to be on my list of frequented restaurants.

Reviewed 5 December 2014

I've been here on 2 occassions. 1 to pass time where without ordering anything we received great service and the free peanuts. The 2nd time I ordered out a turkey burger and came into it with some doubt as I passed places on the way that I would have rather went but I already ordered it over the phone. The turkey burger to my surprise was great! Had mashed avocado and probably some southwestern sauce (great) on there, melted cheese, some lettuce which was probably too big and tomato. The fries were decent. But the burger was over my expectations, and that's all you can ask for. It cost $9.25, and as a pretty stingy person, I would say this is an adequate price

Reviewed 4 October 2014

O'Toole's has been around for well, a long time. I've been around for a long time and I can't determine which came first, so I'll just say that it is an institution. If the level of activity is any indication, O'Toole's successfully serves up a great eating & drinking experience on a consistent basis. Enjoy authentic pub selections from their menu, and imbibe to your heart's delight from a full range of adult beverages. My favorites from the menu: The Corned Beef Reuben, and the Black & Bleu Burger. Although I didn't sample it, the special for our recent lunch visit was a "Bic Mac O'Toole's Style" burger. Hmmm. Good times, and some great food & drink specials on Sunday afternoons. The crowd can get crazy & loud at times. Give them a look!