American Host Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hart
American Host Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hart B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 August 2017

This is absolutely the cleanest, freshest smelling, and well maintained place that we have stayed at in many years. It is a family run business and they truly care about their guests, they are very friendly and an accommodating staff. When we made our reservations we notified them we would be arriving very late. Dar called us to check on our travel progress and to ensure they would wait for us even if it meant for them to stay up late.

The posted rules are very reasonable for those that are considerate of others. There is no visible wear and tear to the room, hallways, carpeting, or common areas that is normally found in the other local more expensive hotels. This is our second stay here in two years and the place still looks and smells like new. Impeccable! American Host Inn is our #1 choice for staying at a hotel near Silver Lake. Easy access to US Highway 31 is a plus for traveling to Pentwater, Ludington, Whitehall, Muskegon, and Manistee.

Some of the many amenities that we enjoyed; a Queen size bed with a very comfortable mattress & comforter, Air conditioning, Recliner lounge chair, Microwave, Refrigerator, Private full bathroom with soft towels & lots of hot water, Flat screen TV with lots of Cable TV channels, Keycard access with easy late night entry, Very easy access to the Hart/Montague bike trail at the back of the hotel, Daily housekeeping with fresh bed sheets, Free self-parking with space for very large vehicles & trailers, Outdoor patio, and many restaurants close by within walking distance. Bike rentals are available onsite.

Food; the restaurant next door owned by others is called “That Place”, and is only steps away from the American Host Inn front door. Basic 50/60’s diner food, taste is good and prices are fair/high. Just need to ask for everything to be the way you want it prepared. Do not assume anything. McDonalds, Subway, and Party Store are close by.
Carl & Susan

Room Tip: Rooms on 1st floor have the easiest access since there is no elevator for the 2nd floor rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 August 2017

My sons and I stayed there last weekend for a couple of nights. It was nice and quiet both nights. The room was very clean. The restaurant next door was great for breakfast (the pancakes are huge - dinner plate sized). Easy access to the highway and only a few minutes away from Silver Lake Sand Dunes.

Will most likely stay there next time.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2017

we stayed there 2 nights - 7/21 - 23
asked why they don't offer AAA discount - we only have 10 weeks to make our MONEY.
nice room and staff. Restaurant next door had slow service
In comparison to what others were charging, this locale was less expensive
We received a thank your post card - nice touch

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2017

Recently me and my two children, ages 9 and 11 visited the Silver Lake area and our car broke down when we started to drive home after watching the sunset. We pulled into a gas station and asked for the nearest hotel and this was the one they directed us to. We drove very carefully to this hotel and got there around 10 pm. The lady at the front desk seemed very reluctant to rent to me because I had kids. She told me she recently had a bad review on Trip Advisor due to kids being loud. I told her our situation and she told me she would "do me a favor" and rent to me and my children if we also did "her a favor" and my children went straight to bed when we got to the room. She told me several times my kids going to straight to bed was a requirement of us staying. Even after we agreed she seemed very reluctant and even annoyed to have us stay there. I only agreed because we literally could not drive home or around town to find another hotel. I was also confused on how accepting my business was a favor to me. Hotels are in business to rent rooms and I was a paying customer no matter the circumstances that made me want to rent a room from them. I am not even sure she could legally have refused us a room based on the fact I had kids. I plan to follow up with the commission that certified this hotel to find out. The staff had a discussion in front of us of what room they would put us in. They did not ask us for preferences on accommodations such as how many beds we needed. They simply assigned the room they preferred for us and charged me. I am not sure if there was a rate difference in the two rooms they were deciding between. They then forgot what room we were in and we were interrupted twice due to them not knowing the room was occupied. The hotel also has postings saying pets are prohibited but there was a dog that the couple owned that came out and greeted my children. If we were traveling with our dog (luckily we weren't in this instance) and were refused accommodations based on their pet policy when they had a dog on premises I would have been furious. The bed sheets were also very sandy and I questioned if the sheets had been changed. I didnt call the front desk to request a change of sheets because I was reluctant to upset the staff who seemed very unhappy to have us there in the first place. We simply pulled up the covers and slept on top. Again, very unsatisfactory.

The gentleman working the front desk did help me change my tire and provided me a good recommendation for an area mechanic. He also extended our checkout time slightly because the mechanic wasn't able to get us in until late in the day which I also appreciated.

Over all I was very unhappy with the service provided us at this hotel. I did appreciate the willingness of the gentleman to try to help us out with our car as best he could, he seemed like a decent human being even if the service of his hotel was intolerable.

Over all, I would not return to this hotel (and haven't even though I have visited the area sense then) and would NOT recommend this hotel to families or anyone traveling with pets. Particularly a family with any young children. Luckily mine are old enough to understand the situation and willingly cooperated and went straight to bed as requested. If my car had been drivable I would have went to another hotel. There was one less than a quarter mile away which we found out the next day.

Room Tip: Not family or pet friendly
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
AmericanHostInnHart, Owner at American Host Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2017

What can I say ? It was a sad situation, late at night and we had only second story rooms available. We have had trouble with parents giving their children passive permission to do as they please because 'we rented this room and children are children!' The guests below them also rented their space for a quiet night's rest and sleep.

We do have a dog and she stays in our living quarters next to the check in desk and is not allowed in the motel area. The pets are fine, the owners are our problem.

I did try to assist this lady and she seemed to think she could stay all day because she had car problems. I finally had to ask her to leave so our staff could clean the room that afternoon. As far as our sheets having sand in them, the children had been to the Silver Lake Sand Dunes all day. (Why wait until 10 pm knowing she had car problems to find help or a place to say ?). We hope she finds better days ahead.

Reviewed 18 July 2017

Rooms where clean. Beds very comfy.
Prices reasonable. The people where so very friendly and helpful. We will definely
Return . Free coffee in the room and in the lobby. Great breakfast right next door..Great location. A+++

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple