“The most satisfying dinner out we've had in a long time.”
Review of Huapei Restaurant

Huapei Restaurant
Ranked #71 of 470 Restaurants in Lansing
Reviewed 2 November 2017

My husband and I have lived in Lansing a few years. I found Huapei online when searching for a the "best Chinese food in Lansing" and we were not disappointed. We ordered the hot and sour soup (which was fantastic), fried pork dumplings (which were seared to perfection), chef's chow mien (a great noodle dish with shrimp, beef, and chicken), and mu shu chicken (one of the best we've ever had). The prices were unexpectedly low for the amount of food we received ($30 for everything we ordered), and we had to take to-go boxes. It is true that the restaurant is unassuming in its decor with unadorned walls and simple tables, but there was new laminate flooring and it was definitely clean. We met and spoke with some of the family members who run the restaurant - one of the sons of the original owner and chef, his wife and their son. They are lovely and hard-working, and we will definitely being going back.

Reviewed 26 April 2017

Excellent chinese food! Love coming here, owned by a nice family - doesnt look pretty on the outside (or inside, frankly) but the food is fantastic. Its the only Chinese restaurant that I know of that serves sizzling rice soup.

Reviewed 29 August 2016

Tried Huapei for the first time a few weeks ago and have been back 2 more times for lunch. This place is easy to miss, small 1 story brick building doesn't look like much at the corner of Cedar and Mt. Hope. The food is so good, fresh, and fast. This is a family run place, the owner took our order and was really friendly. The lunch specials are really inexpensive. Try this place, you'll be glad you did.

1  Thank Qzsue2016
Reviewed 30 May 2016

Huapei came to Lansing and has remained in the same location since around 1977. Elvis died, Huapei was born Chinese food for me would never been the same! At the time there were very few Chinese restaurants and House of Ing was THE place to eat. Chop suey, chow mien, egg foo young, pressed duck, chicken almond ding - this was the landscape for Chinese food in Lansing, the state of MI and much of the nation.

Sichuan food arrived and brought spice - 40 years later and most people know Kung Pao but at the time we didn't realized this was the beginning of a revolution.

Was this brought to Lansing by an entrepreneur trying to fill a niche? Nope - much better story! The father, founder and master of the Huapei menu was a Chef in China (not a cook or a stir fry guy - a real Chef) Did he leave China for Lansing? No - he took his skills and family to Korea (I'm betting South Korea) and continued honing his knives and culinary skills. On the wall of Huapei his licenses were hung and may still be there today. My favorite was the blowfish permit - yes I too thought this was only in Japan. Read about this if you are not familiar.

Today the founder's youngest son has carried on the family tradition and prepares the dishes following the same recipes and techniques he learned from his father. Their Kung Pao chicken, hot and sour soup, Mongolian beef and dumplings are still the standard I use to judge the rest and 95% can't hold a candle to Huapei. Not sue if Eddie has carried on the Korean menu but the spicy red soup is great as well.

For me this is where spicy Chinese food in America started and I thank you for reading!

2  Thank James P
Reviewed 16 January 2016

I really loved good authentic chinese food here. I was craving for a black bean paste noodle dish and there they have it. Chicken fried dish was delicious, too! One thing is though, there is only one chef and it takes a long time to eat. Other than that, my experience was great and I would recommend this place to anyone.