“A clean stop for the night”
Review of Viking Arms Inn

Viking Arms Inn
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Ludington
Reviewed 23 July 2016

The Viking Arms is a motor motel and a good place to stop for the night. The rooms were clean as well as the grounds. They have a pool and whirlpool too. I appreciated the outdoor gazebo and chairs to sit outside. The motel is a little far from the beach and downtown area to walk to. We were going to bicycle but the road is a little too busy for us. Also the shower in the room we were in is really small. I don't think a large man could fit in the enclosure.

2  Thank bellarosa1

Reviewed 19 July 2016

My wife and I decided to get away for a few days and we set our sights on Ludington, Michigan. Since this was just a short stay, we wanted to find a clean, well-maintained, motel, close to downtown and the beach, and reasonably priced. That's a tall order for any resort location but we were determined to find just such a place. Believe it or not our criteria was met and more at the Viking Arms Inn. Our room featured a king-size bed, flat screen TV, WiFi and a coffee machine. It wasn't spacious but it was clean, comfortable and affordable. The pool area was nicely kept, with plenty of lounge chairs and several tables. There's a continental breakfast but we went into town each morning to eat. We'll definitely stay there again. A good place for a great price. That's my kind of get away!

1  Thank RevRay1212
Reviewed 16 July 2016

Nice Clean Place To Stay. Reasonably Priced & Friendly. Good value for the money. There is no fridge. Also has a minimal continental breakfast.
Will stay again when passing through Ludington Michigan.

Room Tip: Sometimes you might get a better rate over phone.
Reviewed 16 July 2016

Nice rooms. Quiet, clean and comfortable. Dave the owner is very nice and helpful, a great guy! Pool, gazebo, parking for each room- no scrambling to get a space by your room! Coffee and small breakfast bar as well. I have stayed here several times in the past, it is a great value and a nice place to stay in town. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Roderick A
Reviewed 7 July 2016

My son and I stayed at The Viking Arms Inn for one night. It was clean and well-maintained. The room itself was a decent size for a motel. We had a room with two double beds, and my only complaint would be that the mattress was very firm, even to the point that I'd say it was hard and somewhat uncomfortable. (My son was happy. He liked the firm mattress on his bed. So, this is a matter of preference.) The room was quiet. We never heard any road noise or noise from other rooms. The bedding was nice and very clean. The pillows were fluffy and supportive and not the cheap, flat kind some motels offer. There was a newer, flat screen t.v., a desk with a wooden chair; a table with two wooden chairs, and the room air conditioner worked efficiently. There was plenty of lighting in the room The bathroom was on the smaller side, but it had a nice tub/shower area with one of the curved curtain rods that allows for more space in the shower. The shower head was small, but it had great water pressure. The sink area was located outside of the bathroom, so two people could be getting ready at the same time. (One important detail to note: When we first arrived, we were given a different room. It had only a shower in a stall. I immediately called the desk and asked to move. For some people it might not be an issue. Just be aware that they have different styles of rooms here, so be sure to ask. I hadn't even thought of this being an issue.) They offer free wifi, which was nice to have, but it stopped working around 10 p.m. and wouldn't come back on. For me, this actually helped me to get my son to go to sleep a bit earlier than normal, but for someone who needs the wifi for business, it could be a frustration. I hope this was just a glitch and not an ongoing problem. By the following morning, it was working again.

The motel has a very nice pool area. My son swam during the mid-afternoon, and he enjoyed it. The pool was clean and heated. There was plenty of seating around the pool area, and there's a small whirlpool area for adults. There's a gazebo where people can sit and enjoy the shade, too. The grounds of the motel are attractive and clearly well-maintained. The parking is excellent. They have designated parking spots with the room numbers painted on them right in front of the rooms. For anyone who's ever come back to a motel only to find that all the available parking spaces are gone, this is a welcome sight.

The location is good. It's right across the street from the hospital. It is also close to several restaurants, a pharmacy, and a gas station. To go to Downtown Ludington or the beach, though, it's not an easy walking distance. You'd probably want to drive. The traffic in this area is heavy, though, so be aware that getting out of this motel can be frustrating. Several times we had to turn right and then come back left because traffic was just too heavy to get out and go left and everything we were in town to do was to the left--the Downtown area, the beach, and the park.

I'd recommend this inn. The price was good for the night we stayed, which was a weeknight following a holiday weekend. I'd checked other motels in the area, and several quoted much higher rates.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family