“Illegal lock out”

Red Roof Inn & Suites Muskegon Heights
Reviewed 26 July 2017 via mobile

When the Red Roof Inn illegally locks a guest out of their room, and the police have to be called to let the guest in their room, who exactly is in charge of the situation? The " sales manager" Cody, or Hope Horner who actually IS the general manager, who ducks out the door avoiding talking to the police?! Strange behavior for a GM.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 22 July 2017

This specific location is super sketchy, Entire families live on the premises. There is a lot of suspicious activity in the parking lot at all hours of the day. The actual hotel itself is unkempt, smells of mildew and in need of extensive repairs. They make you pay for your entire stay up front upon check in and so once you see the accommodations and surrounding areas you are locked in. The only positive part of the experience was Stacia, the front desk agent. She was very polite, professional and responsive.
No housekeeping staff, no ice machine, no vending machine.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 July 2017 via mobile

I was contacted by a member of the sales team in regards to staying there throughout my sons soccer tournament.
He pitched it as a fun safe place that was also pet friendly so we brought our pug with us.
We checked in and I wish I never would have came !
We left one night into our 3 day stay and ended up sleeping in my van for 2 nights due to a shortage of hotel rooms in the area. The commute was too long to stay in Grand Rapids so we slept by the beach in my van .
I'm from Ohio so we had no other options really.

This place is disgusting!
The pool has pieces of wet diaper floating around in it.
The hallway had dirty diapers and trash throughout the whole place.
There was garbage in every corner of the hallway.
The carpets were stained and discuss long and it smelled like a animal shelter and mildew.
The parking lot had puddles of water throughout it and smelled horrible.
There was a used needle by an ashtray as well cigarette butts all over!
The windows are boarded up.

One ice machine they had on the place did not have a scope on it and I witnessed kids dipping their hands in the ice machine.

The lady who said she was the general manager was running around in basketball shorts cleaning rooms and she wasn't available to come to the desk to field my complaint.

The front desk was very friendly as well as the guy who sold me the room I believe his name was Corey or Cody.

This property needs to be shut down or at least me a Health code before selling people Rooms.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 July 2017

no amenities! no pool (closed), no ice, no tp paper, no glass in windows (plywood). room door didn't lock, no towels, no food for breakfast, dirty, wi-fi didn't work. get a room did not relay my request for my 3 rooms together or close. had 2 different floors. I had already paid getaroom for these rooms, but the hotel wanted to know how I wanted to pay for the rooms. take your recites with you.

Room Tip: stay away better off sleeping in your car in down town Detroit
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 June 2017

When we first got there, our first impression was: filthy. A few windows were broken and boarded up and there were multiple families sitting outside in their lawn chairs. Not to mention there were multiple children running around the crummy hotel. This was a permanent residence for most of the hoodlums. We feared not only for our safety, but for our belongings being stolen, since anyone could come in and out (all of the doors were propped open with wooden shims). As we looked over our room, we noticed a past resident had peed in our toilet and it was left. Our jacuzzi tub (which we paid extra for) had grimy stains. There was no bedspread, and ONLY two pillows. Our room was painted two different colors, for which I have no guess to why. Don't even get me started on the dresser with cigarette burns on the top, though we were in a non-smoking room. It smelled like a uninhabitable cigarette factory and the hotel also reeked of garbage. One positive thing we had to say about the hotel was the friendly clerk, she was very understanding and helpful. We were told our money would be refunded to us (thankfully) because we just could not stay here for the night.

Room Tip: Where to even begin? Do not book here.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Rodeway Inn Muskegon
#6 of 12 in Muskegon
5.7 km away
Shoreline Inn & Conference Center, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

Been to Red Roof Inn & Suites Muskegon Heights? Share your experiences!