Chez Chavalier is a wonderful house - full of character, well equipped and very comfortable. Its location is perfect for peace and quiet - at the end of a lane in the middle of open fields and vineyards. The grounds, pool and house are extremely well looked after, and the owners Kim and Maggie are lovely. The surrounding countryside is great for cycling, and there are lots of circular walks near to the estuary although we couldn't drag ourselves away from the pool to try them out! Thank you Kim and Maggie - we had a lovely stay.
We stayed at chez chevalier with 2 young children (1 and 3) and our extended family (4 generations in total). The property is spacious, well equipped and has real rustic charm. The pool area is outstanding and a central hub for kids playing, eating and socialising. There is loads of space for kids to run around securely (only downside is the lack of pool guard).
The owners are wonderful hosts but extremely respectful of guests privacy.
The area is really beautiful....with loads to do and see.
I'd recommend this property to anyone.
Just returned from a super half-term break with our 2 young boys and the in-laws. Only an hour from Bordeaux airport, perfect location, own pool, nice & quiet. The property is immaculate, lovingly restored by Kim & Maggie, who were our friendly, helpful and discreet hosts. Can't wait to return, sadly not until next summer as they're fully booked! Wonderful!
Chez Chevalier provides a rural haven, set amongst the sunflowers and vineyards of Charente-Maritime. The house is utterly charming, managing to be both airy and cosy. Kim and Maggie are friendly, helpful, on-hand if needed. We were a group of four, including a 13-yr old and a 15-yr old, plus our one-year old dog. My memories from our trip include:
- basking by the pool, with scent of lavender and the gentle drone of hummingbird moths
- the kids loving being able to harvest herbs, plums, and eggs from the garden
- chilling out in the pool's fab bar area with a cold beer from the bar fridge
- the lovely decor of the bedrooms and the feel of the house - Kim and Maggie have obviously put a lot of thought into this
- the utter peace and quiet
As for the area:
It's a short drive to the coast with a wide array of towns and villages to visit. We were rather taken with the mediaeval Talmond - now a dedicated visitor attraction but still retaining plenty of charm. We also tasted wines in the market at Saint-Palais-sur-Mer, watched the sailing boats from the front overlooking the wide, sandy beach at St Georges de Didonne, had (to die for!) "moules Charentais" in the one of the many little restaurants that line the port at Meschers, and walked the dog along the creeks at Maubert.
On a practical note:
- There's a huge supermarket a short drive inland at Gemozac, which is great for stocking up on groceries, plus clothing / toys / beach gear etc.
- We had our dog with us, and Kim pointed us in the direction of a handy vet also in Gemozac for that important pre-return treatment. He even offered to come with us if we needed!
- The gardens of the house continue straight through to the vineyards beyond, which feels lovely, but did mean we needed to keep the dog secure (he likes exploring, and indeed did manage to escape for a tour of the neighbour's yard!)
- On another dog-related note, the local beaches were out of bounds to dogs (as we discovered at the wrong end of a megaphone!!)
|How easy was it to book the property?||How helpful were the directions to the property?|
|How easy was key pickup/access to the property?||Overall condition of the property|
|Bedding & mattresses||Kitchen & utensils|
|Bathroom cleanliness||Other facilities & amenities|
|Friends getaway||Large groups|
|People with pets|
Just home from fab two weeks in Chez Chevalier - a gem of a property in the heart of the Gironde countryside - surrounded by sunflowers and vines! Beautifully renovated and well equipped house with a great pool. Loads to do in surrounding area but to be honest weather was so good we were happy to hang around the pool and the lovely lounge area at the end of it. We did some lovely cycles from the house on the quieter country roads. Our hosts were great and very generous with their garden produce - eggs, herbs, garlic and cherries from the heavily laden tree by the pool to name but a few! We travelled to several of the surrounding beaches with the beach at the Cote Sauvage being our favourite but unfortunately approx a 1 hour drive from Chez Chevalier - the only downside to the property.