“One of the best I've played in my 45 years of golfing!”

Black Lake Golf Club
Ranked #2 of 3 things to do in Onaway
More attraction details
Owner description: Acclaimed architect Rees Jones designed this 300-acre championship golf course, which plays 7,030 yards from the back tees to 5,058 from the front and a par of 72.
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

Wife and I played here the end of Sept'16 with an online rate of $35 with a 3:00 tee midweek. A bargain.Hardly anyone on course. I bet the deer were only 20 yards from my wife's tee and didn't flinch at all,they owned the course and knew it!
I fix my divots and repair balls marks but I tell you what, you'd be hard pressed to find a divot on this course, unbelievable conditioning. I dont think I'd be able to sleep that night if I didn't replace or repair, was totally impressed!

After having played most of the Gaylord, Boyne, Garland, Shanty, Tullymore, Thousand Oaks,and my "home" course Pilgrims Run, I'd rate Black Lake right near the top. If ever in the area on way to Mackinac I'd go out of my way to play this tract, I like it even better than Rees 's dad's Masterpiece!

All reviews
"masterpiece"
"lesson"
"game"

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

The golf course itself is fantastic. It's beautiful and wonderfully maintained. It's as nice as they come.

It has the feel of a classic country club course. The layout is not overly fancy with a lot of tricky features like you might see at a resort. After playing at Treetops this felt kind of mild. The course winds its way through the forests with only a couple forced carries. The elevation changes are mostly slight uphill climbs towards the greens. The greens are devoid of a lot of crazy breaks. But don't get me wrong, this is a tough course to post a low round.

The back nine was definitely more interesting than the front nine. The holes were more unique and fun.

Here's where the asterisk comes in. The cart gal was the friendliest person we met. The guy in the pro shop could take a lesson from her. He was like talking to a wall.

The restaurant, driving range and putting green were empty, as if no one was there, yet the tee sheet was full. I felt like this course caters to its members and the locals, but the random tourists like us are just put up with. I think we were the only non-locals on the course and they could care less if another ever showed up again. That's the impression I got.

Reviewed 9 November 2016

I had heard good things about Black Lake Golf Club for quite some time and I was excited to finally get a chance to play the course. Our group teed off on a beautiful late October Fall afternoon and the colors were absolutely spectacular!
The course itself is really beautiful and it was in fine condition for late season golf. Black Lake is cut out of a forest and most fairways offer generous landing areas, but they are lined with trees on both sides, so errant shots typically find jail. I think I played my 3-metal off the tee more than I ever have before. Each hole is well thought out and usually offers more than option for your next shot, so you need to think a little before you swing. Pricing for this level of course is very reasonable and the staff was friendly..
I play a lot of higher end public golf courses all across the country whenever I can and Black Lake is certainly a top 10 Michigan golf destination. I'm looking forward to coming back and doing it again!

Alissa K, Special Events & Social Media Manager at Black Lake Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our course. We are thrilled that you enjoyed it and hope to have you back!!

Reviewed 20 September 2016

Love this course, we golfed here about four years ago, and brought another couple with us and they loved it as well. It is a long course and a bit challenging. This is one of our favorite golf courses in Northern Michigan. The staff is friendly and it is so peaceful and beautiful. Our day came complete with some deer walking through our fairway. Highly recommend this golf course if you are ever in the area. If you are UAW Members you also get a discount.

We appreciate that you have taken the time to let others know about our beautiful course. Thank you so much...we hope to see you again soon!!