Detroit Marriott Southfield
Good 3.5/5
Very Good 4/5
Average 3/5
View Hotel
All reviewsconcierge floorfront deskstayed at the marriottrooms are clean and comfortableindoor poolwould stay here againroom servicebusiness travelerguest roomslobby areaking roomgreat roomhotel restaurantbusiness tripdetroitbarbarahighway
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 December 2017

I was onsite for a two day conference. At check in was placed in a renovated room. Rm 155 on the back side of the property. I was not impressed with the flooring. Bathroom shower was good. The shades did not work properly and I was at the base of a street light. The shade allowed to much light to come into the room. The next morning I discovered a spider in my room. By that afternoon they moved me to another room. In the second room the thermostat did not work properly. I opted not to complain to the front desk. Getting to the 5th floor was helpful. I would not recommend the 1st floor. I also noticed that the removable shower head did not work in both rooms. Also the internet stopped working after the first night. After a call to the front desk it was back working that night. This issue did not seem to be a property wide issue.

A few people that impressed me were Barbara from the front desk and Pat from house keeping. Both special ladies. I actually took a Santa Picture selfie with Pat. She was so sweet. The food served at the conference was very good.

Room Tip: Not a room at the back side next to the parking lot.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Amanda K, Front Office Manager at Detroit Marriott Southfield, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2017

Dear Jim C,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review in regards to your recent stay at the Detroit Marriott Southfield.

As we pride ourselves on delivering a memorable hotel experience during your travels, we have unfortunately fallen short of our goal during your recent stay. Please accept our sincere apology for the issues the occurred during your stay. I do appreciate the feedback on your feelings about the first floor rooms and will be taking them into great consideration. We have shared your feedback with the appropriate hotel team to ensure that this was an isolated issue that is corrected moving forward.

Upholding our commitment to provide a memorable experience with exceptional service, we hope to have an opportunity to better your experience with us whenever your travels bring you back to Southfield.

Amanda Klank
Front Desk Manager
Marriott Detroit Southfield
aklank@marriottsouthfield.com
248-445-2011

Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

We reserved two rooms for our family. Upon arrival we were given a room that clearly had a smoke fest during the last travelers stay. So bad we could not breathe without coughing. The staff verified our complaint and apologized (thank you) and moved us to a new room where the bathroom had long dark hair in the bathtub (um no thank you!) We stopped at the front desk to share our concerns with the employees (there were 2) who said they would take care of it as we were late to dinner. When we returned and stopped at front desk to get some water bottles the same two employees were there. The one that had mainly helped us advised us nobody had gone into our room to clean it because they didn’t have our permission (wait what?! That was 3 hours ago and you said it would be taken care of). We are now in our room tired jet lagged and disenchanted with this hotel staff who clearly has no follow through or checks and balances to provide basic needs of the traveler...like a clean room. When pulling back the covers on our bed we found a dark spot on the blanket! Not ok Marriott! We expect higher standards and follow through from your brand!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Andrew F, Director of Operations at Detroit Marriott Southfield, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2017

Dear Girleymom,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Detroit Marriott Southfield with us.

As the cleanliness of our hotel is a key priority, I am very sorry that your guestroom fell short of your expectations. Please rest assured that your comments have been shared with the housekeeping team in an effort to improve our service.

We hope you choose to stay with us whenever your travels bring you back to Southfield.

Andrew Franks
afranks@marriottsouthfield.com

Reviewed 10 November 2017

This is a nice hotel. Unlike some of the other reviewers, I appreciated that there was no carpet in the room - it's cleaner and I'm not so worried what previous guests might have left behind on the floor. The staff were friendly and accommodating

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2017

This Marriott is a pretty standard business hotel adjacent to highway and nestled in between a lot of corporations. The lobby, ground floor and restaurants have been renovated and look modern.

Room renovations are mostly complete, so is the 6th floor lounge. Room renovations are modern, minimilistic. A fresh look compared to older decor rooms. The floors are laminate wood. I am not a fan of this floor. I would have preferred a nice carpet.

The bathroom is redone. Very large illuminated mirror.

The 6th floor concierge lounge is complete, has complimentary water, beverages. I only visited for breakfast and it was a decent continental breakfast with fresh fruit, real scrambled eggs (not from powder) and good coffee. There is a server at all times which was friendly. Large corner windows with views. Medium Sized, but plenty of seating.

Platinum welcome gift of 500 points. The lobby restaurant has happy hour M-Th, 5-7pm. Overall a good stay, comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 October 2017

Couldn't get in to Troy Marriott so stayed in Southfield and commuted. Staff were pleasant and in-hotel restaurant OK for a night's stay, but rooms tired at best. Blue collar transient population and rooms reflect that tired (over-priced) status. Nice people but I suspect the Detroit auto downturn has made a casualty of this property. Toilet dirty with feces when I checked-in. Disappointing.

Room Tip: end of hall or high floor maybe. Cleanliness an issues for me on any floor.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Andrew F, Director of Operations at Detroit Marriott Southfield, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2017

Good evening JazzScuba,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us at the Marriott Southfield. As you may have noticed, we are in the process of a complete room renovation. Once completed, we are confident that this will provide our guests, like you, the highly functional spaces and stylish décor you come to expect. We strive to provide our guests with an outstanding service experience. On behalf of the hotel, I would like to apologize for falling short of meeting your expectations. I have shared your feedback with our department heads, who will be addressing with their teams to prevent this from happening again. We do look forward to another opportunity to regain your confidence in us.

Andrew D. Franks