“Fabulous food at a very reasonable price.”

The Black Bull Tarbolton
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Tarbolton
Cuisines: Scottish, British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Fine dining restaurant using local produce sourced fresh and seasonal with private dinning area available for functions and a unique decorated public restaurant.
Reviewed 28 January 2017

My daughter treated me to a belated birthday lunch at the Black Bull today, which we enjoyed hugely. The restaurant is wheelchair accessible, with ramps to the restaurant door from the car park. The food was delightful and beautifully presented, and the restaurant itself has subtle and pleasant decor. We had the Smoked Cheese Souffle as a starter, which was superb, and served with pureed pear chutney and a potato crisp nest, a lovely blend of flavours. For our main course we both had the Rarebit-topped Baked Haddock, with a generously sized potato croquette and a cream sauce with leeks; again, an excellent blend of flavours, and the fish was perfectly cooked. For dessert my daughter had the Pineapple Upside-down Cake with Coconut Ice-cream ( a pina colada on a plate, really), and I had a delicious Pear Mousse with Raspberry Puree, light and flavoursome. We completed our meal with some very tasty coffees, served with a choice of white or brown sugar and mini-shortbreads. The service was excellent, despite the place being quite busy, and I have no hesitation in recommending the Black Bull as a very good choice for an excellent meal at a very reasonable price. We'll certainly be going back again, as whoever the chef is, he really knows how to combine flavours for a delicious selection of food.

Reviewed 20 January 2017

I ate here for a business lunch, and the food was great. There's a good range of dishes available, and a smaller, but still good, selection on the set menus. These offered great value for money, particularly as the quality of the food was excellent.
The decor is quite modern and restrained, and the tables well spaced and a good size.
The service was tremendously friendly, and both staff that served us were helpful, polite and efficient.

Reviewed 17 January 2017 via mobile

I had heard so much good about the black bull in tarbolton so phoned to book a dinner for family and friends for my daughters 21st they explained about the reduced menu which was fine however when we arrived there was no one to meet us or show us where to go anyway the lady brought us the menus and explained about the reduced menu but assured us there could be one or two exceptions my daughter wanted the goats cheese starter from the main menu when she requested this the lady rolled her eyes also after the starters arrived one of the party had not received theirs it had clearly been forgotten about everyone else at the table had finished when it arrived. On to the main courses my daughters bf ordered a side of garlic bread which came after the meal was finished and once again after a reminder when she brought it it was almost flung down with the comment I don't even know who ordered it granted it had been taken off the bill there was another party in also celebrating a 60th birthday and the lady serving obviously knew them and spent plenty time and attention on them whilst a few of our party had to visit the bar for drinks most of the party wanted to order desserts but we were made to feel that any request was an inconvenience I totally understand they were very busy but would rather they had said they were full on the phone than having to endure such terrible service that spoiled my daughters special night out the food was delicious may I add but the service is terrible and I doubt we will be back also no reply to an e mail I sent voicing my findings

1  Thank Marion W
Mandy K, Owner at The Black Bull Tarbolton, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2017

Hello Marion,

I have only just received your email and seen your review on trip advisor.
I am deeply sorry your evening with us was unsatisfactory and have spoken to my staff regarding the issues with the booking.
They have assured me that they had asked your party several times if any one would like drinks topped up to which the reply had always been no,
that they also asked twice if anyone was interested in desserts and again to be told no. With regards to the issue of food orders I can only apologise
about food being missed or brought out late, as I’m sure you are aware Saturday nights are our busiest and when a booking arrives half an hour late it
causes a considerable amount of pressure on not only our kitchen staff but also the front of house as other bookings are scheduled for that time.
By no means does that mean anyone should feel put out as we aim to make sure every person has an enjoyable experience in our restaurant.
We hope that you will consider trying our restaurant again in future and assure you this was a one off

Regards

Raj Singh
Black Bull Hotel

Reviewed 4 January 2017

very large menu's, although many items are on different menu's, so takes a while to choose, but food was good.
Car park is very small, so we had to find a space elsewhere.

Reviewed 2 January 2017

Didn't look anything outside was just a dirty looking pub,but once inside the lounge it was like walking into a modern restraunt.starters we had were haggis roulade and smoked haddock risotto and both were delicious, main meal was the beef casserole and only complaint I could have was too much food couldn't finish it, excellent service would return again..