“Loved it”

Dae Jang Keum Korean BBQ
Ranked #36 of 296 Restaurants in Troy
Reviewed 22 April 2017 via mobile

This place was fantastic. They cook on charcoal grills right at the table which gave the food a great flavor. The food is authentic Korean and we thought it was delicious. We ordered the kalbi and the bulgogi and loved them both. Came with all the sides including kimchi.

The decor is very inviting and the service was outstanding.

Truthfully, I can't wait to eat at Dar Jang Kruk Korean BBQ again. It was that good.

Reviewed 4 April 2017

The east side of Metropolitan Detroit is "studded" with Korean dining establishments, and using the opportunity of being there I decided to try the Dae Jang Keum. As I do not frequent such places very often, I have really no comparative scale and am basing my review on an impromptu impression. The décor is rather on a casual side, which suits me just fine, and the service is quite efficient. But the food is the star there! A lot of different propositions on the menu, including Korean salads, soups, pork, beef, chicken, duck and vegetarian dishes, out of which certain are served hot, others cold. Some names on the menu sound so exotic that I did not even know what they might be. Most tables are equipped with a grill plate in the middle, to prepare dishes that are meant to be cooked in front of your eyes, and over each of such tables there is a sprinkler system in case grilling results in a fire... luckily, nothing of the sort happened during my visit.
I chose two items - a very tasty soup of Korean-style dumplings in broth, and a serving of "glass" (transparent) noodles stir-fried with shrimp and vegetables. Both dishes excellent, and prepared with top-quality ingredients. Even though Korean restaurants are known to be a bit more expensive than Chinese ones, the bill was quite reasonable. Hopefully I'll have another opportunity to return to Dae, to try something else.

Reviewed 16 March 2017 via mobile

Amazing, service, food, water. EXPERIENCE. First time trying Korean BBQ and this place set the bar for what was expected. Starting with the service of the employees they were very help guiding you through the process and letting you know if you need their help to let them know. we got combo 1 for 59 with the fried dumpling app, beef, honey BBQ pork(the best part) BBQ chicken, and shrimp. It also came with some eggy desert but we didn't try that lol. The portions of sides as you can see in the pic were very filling and the sauces were "AWESOME SAUCE!" will definitely be back to try hot pot!

Reviewed 2 March 2017

This is NOT like the grill-your-own rib meat joints in Korea. The food is similar, but the restaurant is attempting to be upscale, while those in Korea are more down-to-earth. The service here was a bit condescending and was over-meddling in my grilling, despite my repeatedly telling the server that I know how to grill kalbi gogi! To top it off, the menu is WAY overpriced! Expect to pay at least 5 times more than what you would in Korea. (And we are not talking about exotic ingredients that need to be specially imported). My recommendation? Go next door to Tomo!

4  Thank Steven A
Reviewed 27 February 2017

Great food - great service - great atmosphere - helpful staff - fresh good tasting food - 100% enjoyable