“New(ish) name, still not worth it”

Bayside Sports Grille
Ranked #26 of 44 Restaurants in Walled Lake
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 25 June 2018

Bayside is the old name. It is now called The Beach Tiki Bar and Boil. The "Boil" referring to the crab pots they now offer.

So for those that have been to Bayside in the past and found the food and or service, um, less than desirable, and come to the "new" place expecting a completely different experience, you will be sadly let down.

We overheard one of the servers mention to another table that it's owned by the same family as Bayside, just that it was sold from the uncle to the nephew. Apparently no one in the family can run a restaurant.

I still believe the only reason this place lives on is due to the liquor license and the location. Drink enough, enjoy the lake view, and you'll live with the food you're dealt I suppose.

The service was slow as it was in the past. When a server comes over and says "Has anyone been over yet?", we replied no, she says "OK, well I'm your server, [name]", you know you're in for a good time. The decor is basically the same (oh, there's a few tiki masks around...yay), and the food was meh at best. For those wondering, the crab pot was "market price"...$41 for the king crab legs pot. Flavor and portion-wise, definitely not worth it.

No need to go back unless it's strictly for drinks I think.

3  Thank Brian J

Reviewed 19 June 2018

What a shame......a true, true shame. This restaurant -- which was originally Bayside --
changes it's name to "The Beach" in 2018. Three of us went there Sat night for drinks and apps around 6 pm. There were tables available on the beautiful deck that overlooks the lake. Greeted by our waitress right away -- ordered drinks and an app. Drinks came promptly -- but 2 were wrong. Could not find waitress anywhere to tell her. Finally, we had to take the 2 drinks to the bar ourselves to get them made right. App was delivered by a staff member (not waitress) -- waitress still MIA. Finally,
after finishing our drinks and app and still not seeing our waitress -- we went to the manager -- paid our bill -- and went to another restaurant. Additionally, there were a lot of unhappy customers seating near us -- but that's all I'm going to say.

Date of visit: June 2018
2  Thank tennisplayer823
Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

We sat on the patio on Sunday to get the beach vibe. Everyone had to move seats because the umbrellas aren’t ample enough to block shade. The people next to us told us there was an appetizer special. After baking in the sun for 10 minutes we finally found a waiter and ordered water. 5 more minutes and everyone in the party is sunburnt. So we moved tables. We inquired about the specials and the waitress seemed too bothered to ask. So we order. My daughter was served some charcoal bricks disguised as sliders. We had ordered the beer buttered chicken fingers and the tiki fries. The chicken strips were the most pitiful strips of chicken I’ve ever seen. And the tiki fries are deceiving as in burnt on the top and mushy on the bottom. Pass on this place next time. It took another 10 min to flag down the waitstaff to get the check.

1  Thank KatieHer
Reviewed 6 May 2018

This place is chaotic every time I come to visit. Last night was not an exception, in fact the worse I've seen! When we arrived, we were seated right away because there were plenty of tables available. The waitress came in to take our drink order after sitting there for 20 minutes, took our food order after 30 minutes of sitting there, unpleasant, rattled and she was very rude, snappy and bad attitude! She asked if we want our order in and bring them all at once. I said yes and bring 2 to go boxes also. She told us that we did not understand her question! I repeated my instructions and she left our table with a frown! Our soup and salad came an hour later but because she was running between tables (she didn't have a lot of tables), we thought we'd sit there and be patient and once she delivers our food, we can box them up and leave. Staff who carried the food for other diners screamed across the room with the entree they were carrying and went table by table to see who ordered the food. Total Chaos! An hour later, our soup and said came. The waitress returned long AFTER we finished our soup/salad and asked if we needed anything else. We informed her that we were waiting for our food. She was surprised that we haven't gotten our main Entree yet, came to find out that she did not place our main entree order!!! She forgot but she already entered it in the computer just before coming back to our table. We wanted to leave without waiting for the main entree to come but I wanted to speak to the Manager first. She said there's no Manager. I asked who's in charge and she said the owner! I asked to have the owner come to the table. We waited. After a long wait, the server screamed across the room with our order. THIS IS ALMOST 2 HOURS after we sat down! The table on both sides next to us got served after an hour and 45 minutes from when they arrived. The owner finally came and came to our table first as everyone wanted to talk to him to complain. I told him what just happened as other tables looked on and also said something to him. He immediately asked me "What do you want? You want me to take your food off your Bill? What an insult after sitting there being so patient for 2 HOURS! I told him that I did not come to get free food, I was giving him feedback of what has happened. He said he can give me a comp for my next visit (You think)? We stood up and left without touching our main dish. I tried to get our Bill for the soup and salad but he said it's "ON HIM"! 2 hours of my time! Bad waitress, bad Management! Would like to see how clean the kitchen is since I was staring at cobwebs while sitting there! We left and went to another restaurant with normal well trained staff, better food and good ambience! This place can ruin an good evening for an average bar food!

1  Thank fe2marie
Reviewed 8 January 2018

We tried this place a second time to give it the benefit of the doubt after a very bad experience with the waitress putting someone else's dinner on our credit card as well as adding in two glasses of wine I did not have. She also added a 20% gratuity to the check which I failed to see because I had to literally go and find her in order to get my credit card back and to sign a slip for my own meal. So in my haste then to leave the establishment I added another 20% gratuity in error. It then took me four calls and my credit cards intersession to get the over charge reversed. She had also billed for two wines I did not order. She also put some one else's meal on my card which I only discovered days later when checking my visa bill. I thought to at least give them a second chance. Though food had been pretty good with terrible service and wrong billing the first time I thought perhaps just new wait staff error. Tonight the food was down right terrible. The seafood gumbo I had enjoyed in December was like chili sauce or catsup right out of the bottle and unidentifiable okra (mush instead) and soft spongy tasteless ????seafood. Certainly not an identifiable piece of shrimp for instance. My lobster though a nice size was under cooked. Not even warm. Potatoes wallowing in butter. The corn tough and inedible. In fact entire meal was not edible. I should have just returned the entire meal as it was not worth $5 let alone the $35. My companions pizza was tasteless and she only ate one small slice. My grandsons french dip was left on his plate after two bites as tough and tasteless. The only positive tonight was that this waitress could add correctly and didn't tack any extras on. But rest assured I will double check my visa charge tomorrow just to be certain. NO We Wont EVER Go Back.

Date of visit: January 2018