“Good hotel that is geting better”

Best Western PLUS Blaine at the National Sports Center
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Blaine
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 October 2017

Both the room and bath were clean and orderly, and everything in the room worked properly. Room was modern and updated. I stay at this property about once a year and they have definitely improved since my last visit. Seems to be more attention to detail in cleanliness of rooms, and the staff is much more friendly and helpful than in the past. Great to see them improve, so will continue to stay a this property.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Todd C, Front Office Manager at Best Western PLUS Blaine at the National Sports Center, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2017

Thank you for your review of your stay with us, it is much appreciated. We really like to hear where we are doing well and areas that need to be improved. This helps us to make our accomodations better from now on. We're so glad the room and bathroom were clean and everything in the room was working well. We take pride in having very clean rooms for you and our staff is sincere to make your stay great. We look forward to you staying with us again!

Reviewed 13 October 2017

great hotel; good location; nice staff; clean; friendly; easy to get too. would stay at again or recommend to others. shuttle offered for wedding in area made things very convenient for eveyone who was there for wedding.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Todd C, Front Office Manager at Best Western PLUS Blaine at the National Sports Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2017

Thank you for your review of your wedding stay with us. We love to hear comments like yours as it confirms to us what we hope we've been doing well. Further, we also feel our shuttle for wedding groups is convenient and makes transition to and from wedding events smooth and seamless. We look forward to providing these kinds of accommodations if you stay with us again!

Reviewed 8 October 2017

This hotel was great. check in and out was simple and people friendly. My room was immaculate and I am very very picky. The woman working on cleaning rooms on the 4th floor was amazing and the sweetest lady ever! The only complaint I have about the hotel is the kitchen lady. When I read the reviews before I didn't really seem to care about that, but she was downright rude! She made comments under her breath to me and my daughter twice. I really didn't appreciate her grumpy attitude at 7am! This really isn't a deal breaker for staying here again, but
someone should really talk to her about how she is treating guests at this hotel! The kitchen and food is there for guest to enjoy and she makes you feel very uncomfortable eating there. I rating the service as average due to my complaint but overall great stay!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 September 2017 via mobile

I booked a room for my parents for the weekend of my son's wedding. When I stopped at the front desk to confirm the reservation I was told it had been cancelled. When I found out that my parents' room had been cancelled, which still hasn't been explained to me, I pulled up their original room confirmation that showed 2 queen beds & included the $20 pet fee. I told them they needed 2 beds because of my father's restless leg syndrome & that they were still bringing their dog. I also asked that they remove the pet fee from my room as I hadn't brought my dog. This was Thursday morning and I was told it would be taken care of & they would call me to let me know.

I didn't get a phone call from anyone until my father called me after they checked in to ask why they had a king size bed when their confirmation said they were to have 2 queen beds. They had walked through the lobby with the dog to get to their room.

We left the hotel at 5:30 pm to go to the Groom's Dinner leaving the dog at the hotel. My phone rang at 7:07 pm. I didn't answer as I was just getting up to give the dinner toast for my son. No voice message was left, no other phone call received.

As I was pulling into the parking lot about 10:00 pm after dinner & cleaning up there was 2 police squads out front & my phone was ringing. My mother was calling to tell me they were being evicted from the hotel because the dog had been barking "the whole time we were gone." When I got to my parents room my 70+ year-old father with heart disease was red-faced & sweating and on the phone trying to find new accommodations.

I kept my parents calm & got them to a different hotel on the other side of town from the rest of the family & where the wedding was taking place. I then asked the staff at the front desk to help me understand what happened. They said the dog (which they later claimed no knowledge of even though he was disclosed on the 1st reservation, the confirmation & my conversation AND my parents had walked through the lobby with him) had been barking the entire time (which would have been 4 hours since we left at 5:30 & my parents returned at 9:30) we were gone. They said they tried "multiple times " to reach me but I didn't answer. I stopped them at that point and pointed out that I received ONE phone call from a phone number I didn't recognize just as I was getting ready to give the toast at my son's Groom's Dinner. NO voice mail message was left. NO follow-up attempt was made. When I offered to show him my call log showing I had received one call he had nothing more to say as he realized I was calling out the lie.

I pointed out that if a voice mail message had been left we could had immediately resolved the issue because my aunts were staying at the same hotel and could have taken care of the dog right away. One would hope in a service industry & in such a sensitive situation lasting 4 hours they would have tried harder to reach me. The entire situation could have been avoided. Instead they lied to me & involved the police.

The other reasons I got for them having to leave were:
a. They were not on a pet-friendly floor. Well, who put them there? They didn't ask for that specific room number. In addition, when I was talking to the woman that checked me out on Saturday about the situation to find out why they were booked on the 3rd floor she stated that although it's preferred to put pets on the lower floors the entire hotel is pet-friendly and sometimes they need to put pets on the upper floors.
b. The dog was barking after quiet hours. My parents were not provided any information on "quiet hours" when they checked in even as they walked through the lobby. In addition, the city noise ordinance goes into effect at 10:00 pm. The dog was quiet before then.
c. Hotel policy is that pets cannot be left alone in the room. There is no mention in the confirmation that pets cannot be left alone. (If you are traveling alone be prepared to eat delivery meals.). Nothing was provided or communicated to my parents on this policy when they arrived.
d. They cannot provide a refund because the police became involved. As a service provider I would expect that they would defuse conflict without the police, without kicking elderly guests out of the hotel. Why could they not have relocated my parents to another room?

Twice I asked them to apologize. I asked them to reimburse the $500 we spent citing multiple reasons.

1. My parents' original reservation was cancelled without explanation & rescheduled incorrectly even though they had all the correct information to book it properly.
2. The staff may have called once; however, they didn't leave a voice mail message. In addition a member of the staff looked me straight in the eye & lied to me about calling more than once. I offered to show him my call log showing I had received only one call. He did not counter my statement because he knew he was caught in the lie. Had they made any real effort my aunts could have helped and the entire situation could have been avoided all together
3. The hotel didn't abide by the city ordinance. The staff told me the police told my parents to leave. This was also not true. The officer told my father to go up to the room & quiet the dog. It was the staff's decision to kick them out.
4. They turned out 2 seniors, one with a heart condition, at 10:00 at night expecting them to find a Thursday/Friday reservation in the Twin Cities at a pet friendly hotel.
5. The staff provided nothing in writing on the pet policy to my parents when they arrived.
6. I had to pay for their room for the night they were not allowed to stay at the hotel.
7. What was to have been one of the most enjoyable family events was overshadowed by staff unable to properly resolve conflict through a simple voice mail message.

What happened was, quite simply, wrong.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Susan N
General M, General Manager at Best Western PLUS Blaine at the National Sports Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Susan,

Thank you for the feedback. I wanted to make sure I had all the details before responding to you on this. To start, when your parents checked in, we were never told there was a pet in the room. Had we known that we could've given you the pet agreement which states pets for one cannot be left alone in the room. We could've also put them on a pet-friendly floor. I did look into the original reservation, and your parents were booked into a single king suite by you and you reserved a double queen suite that was pet-friendly, which you canceled at a later time. The pet-friendly room was never booked for your parents. Our Director of Engineering tried to contact you himself five (5) times. We did document the times when you were called. Being unable to reach you, we tried to talk to the neighboring guests who complained about the pet. One of them decided to call the police himself. When the police arrived, your father had also arrived back at the hotel. The police stated that he was being belligerent towards them and evicted your father themselves. None of this was done by us. The following morning, our assistant manager stated she talked to you herself in a conversation where you apologized for your father's behavior. Finally, we only charged your father for the night he actually did stay here, we canceled his room at no charge.
I am not sure why this story has changed from the day you spoke to our assistant manager, but I can reliably say that what you're stating happened is quite simply incorrect.

Reviewed 25 September 2017

We had a brief but nice quiet stay after a family wedding. Enjoyed a satisfying breakfast, with many food options, before heading out. Would highly recommend this hotel if you're in the area. There are many stores and a few bar/restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blaine
10.6 km away
10.6 km away
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Coon Rapids
10.1 km away
Homewood Suites by Hilton Minneapolis-New Brighton

Been to Best Western PLUS Blaine at the National Sports Center? Share your experiences!