“Awesome Pad Thai”

Ranked #49 of 226 Restaurants in Bloomington
Price range: US$20 - US$35
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Reviewed 10 June 2015

I go here and the one in Maple Grove a lot. I always say I will try something different but always order Pad Thai. Shrimp is my favorite, but they're all good. Well, except Tofu. I hate tofu. :)

There are newer reviews for Sawatdee - Bloomington

Reviewed 27 May 2015

We had fried spring rolls, pad thai, and spicy noodles and all were good, but nothing to rave about. There wasn't much spice to either of the dishes and the spring rolls didn't have the traditional paper thin wrapper. The service was good and the food was quickly made. It was close to where we were shopping and that's why we chose this restaurant. If we are in the area, we will stop again. I would like to have had their lunch buffet.

Reviewed 20 April 2015

I used to live in Minneapolis, and ate regularly at the Sawatdee location downtown on Washington Avenue regularly. When I was visiting recently, after being away for years, I recalled that experience and asked my friend if they were still open. We checked the internet, and to my delight, we located Sawatdee nearby in Bloomington!

I went with high expectations, hoping for a delicious experience. I was a little concerned to arrive and find the restaurant empty at lunch time. I also noted that the décor lacked the warmth that I remembered from the downtown location. My friend reminded me that it was all about the food, so I let go of those observations.

The menu was extensive, and I was excited to see that #18 Rama Thai Delight was still on the menu, as it used to be my standing favorite. We ordered hot tea and the #9 Golden Shrimp as an appetizer to share. Although I studied the menu for a bit, I had to order my favorite Rama Thai Delight (peanut curry smothered chicken on a bed of fresh steamed spinach). My friend decided on the #63 Shrimp & Scallops (enhanced by fresh garlic and Thai sauce). We both went with Mild as our spice level, knowing you can spice it up if desired, and asked that additional spice be delivered with the food.

The Golden Fried Shrimp came out quickly, and were delicious. We almost requested an additional order, but our main course arrived and we realized we had more than enough food. Both of our dishes were delicious, but we did need to add more spice to our dishes. Unfortunately, our server had not brought it with our food as requested. She had also disappeared after delivering our food. After a few minutes I got up and went to the only staff I could find to ask for the condiments. I don't understand why, but it still took a few minutes for anyone to bring us what we needed.

In spite of that inconvenience, the meal was good and had great flavor overall. With the additional spice to give us the heat we wanted, the food was perfect.

The upside was that the food was really well prepared and delicious, and my favorite dish had not changed over the years that I was away from Minneapolis. The downside was the our visit to Sawatdee was somewhat tarnished by the service. I would have given this five stars for the food, but the slow (nearly 5 minutes) service with the additional condiments we requested (when we ordered our food) has to be noted.

That said, I would not hesitate to eat here again. The next time I will insist that the condiments arrive at our table before we even receive our food.

Reviewed 13 April 2015

I've had the spicy noodles 7 times. The spice scale is from 1-5 and I get a 4. It makes me sweat and I love it. They really don't love giving me that level of heat though. I don't trust them because I'm pretty sure they see someone who looks like me and assume I like bland food and walleye. (Just a joke, I'm am MN transplant and love the state)

I've had to convince them (just reassure, no real hassle) that I really did want the 4 spiciness a couple of times. Twice I did that and they did not oblige, though. Gave me a 2 I believe.

They are friendly and fast and I'm sure they've had people complain of an excess of heat. I'm just not that person and would appreciate a level 4 when I order a level 4.

Reviewed 22 March 2015

I just recently found this location and am so glad I did. We've been there a few times and tired a variety of different menu options. The Pad Thai is the go to option. The roast duck curry has such a delicious curry sauce with it, I almost want to be able have a bowl of just the curry. As others have mentioned, the spring rolls are fresh with a nice peanut dipping sauce. The Laab is another usual order along with the Thai Beef Jerky and Tod Gratiam Prig Thai with pork. You can order how ever spicy you want and they have online ordering too. The only thing I didn't like was the spice level seemed to vary depending on when we ordered it and what the chef considers mild or medium. With how close it is to home it has become my to go to place for yummy Thai food. Don't let the strip mall location scare you. There's also a lunch buffet which I haven't tried.