“Great sushi”

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 July 2017

Just passing through town and had the opportunity to have dinner at Shogun. I was so happy with it, I came back the next night.

I always look for something unique on the sushi menu. Most places have the same types of fish and a selection of rolls. While I didn't find anything especially unique, I did find quality sushi and sashimi done well and attractively plated.

The first night I tried the chirashi dinner. This was about 14 pieces of fish with seasoned rice. A lot of places use a dish like this to get rid of items that people don't like, but this was a nice selection of fish plus a piece of crab and shrimp. Nothing too challenging and all delicious. For "desert" I had a spicy salmon hand roll (or hand cone). It was larger than most hand rolls I've had, and the salmon had some tempura crunch in it, which was nice.

The next night I went with a sashimi salad to start. This was large, thinly sliced pieces of fish on a bed of organic greens with some kind of sweet vinegar dressing. Very nice. Then I sampled some salmon and white tuna nigiri and indulged in another spicy tuna hand roll. The balance between fish and rice in nigiri sushi is always variable. Shogun lands on the side of less rice and more fish. I prefer that over the opposite. Often a little wasabi is placed between the fish and rice; I didn't notice that at Shogun, which is fine; I don't mind seasoning my sushi to my own taste, thank you.

This place has a lot of hibachi grills and groups of people celebrating birthdays. If that's your thing, I hear they do it well; I was over hibachi the second time I saw it. They also have a number of rolls. Again, not my thing. But the sushi and sashimi was very good.

1  Thank 185Craig

Reviewed 1 July 2017

Had our company dinner party there, lot of fun as the cooks/chef's entertain you while preparing your food. Quality & taste of food was very good.

Reviewed 17 February 2017 via mobile

It's always somewhere that the kids enjoy. The entertainment combined with consistently good food and a simple menu make this a great family place. Like all of these restaurants it's noisy, smelly, basically it provokes all the senses - don't come here for a mellow date, come instead for a fun load time and you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 9 February 2017

Went to Shogun last weekend and it was great. 2 Adults, 2 kids and the bill was less than $100- including 2 adult beverages. We enjoyed the hibachi grill and the chef was excellent. You may want to decline some of the rice because it is such a large serving and you need to make room for the main entree. There were 3 birthdays while we were there and the kids loved seeing the big masks and cakes. We will definitely go back.

Reviewed 25 January 2017

We enjoyed a birthday party for our adult son at the hibachi side of Shogun. They have dinner seating and hibachi seating at the restaurant. Our group of 8 easily fit around the cooking area. Each in our party had their meal cooked to order in front of us, varying from lobster to chicken to shrimp to beef. It was done to perfection, with humor and joking between the family members and the chef. The atmosphere of thw whole evening was fun.