“wouldn't go back”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Duluth
Olcott House Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #6 of 11 Duluth B&B and Inns
battle lake,mn
“wouldn't go back”
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I am really sad to write that as there was much anticipation regarding this stay at Olcott House. We stayed in another B&B the night preceding our reservation at Olcott and perhaps that set the standard to which we are comparing Olcott House. My primary disappointment occurred when we alerted the owners that we'd be leaving at 8 am the following day. Breakfast is served at 9 am. His response when he received this information was "oh, you won't be here for breakfast then." While I didn't expect the entire meal to be availed to us I was somewhat surprised that a cup of coffee and scone or even granola bar wasn't offered. Nothing. Honestly, I would have been happy with just the gesture. It is a bed and breakfast after all! As I've expressed I didn't have expectations that we'd partake in the breakfast but it was as if we were two less to cook for and therefore it was a relief we would be departing so early. We stayed in the carriage house the cost for which was over $300. Doesn't that warrant at least a cup of coffee in a paper cup? Instead, we stopped at the gas station down the road and drank something that loosely resembled coffee. It was a very lackluster finale to what could have been a nice stay. My feelings regarding this B&B would have been radically different had an effort of even the slightest been made.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank irishtwins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 July 2011

We had the pleasure of meeting David, The owner, he is very attentive and made our experience unique. The House is beautiful, clean and the rooms are very comfortable. We will definately be back. He is very helpful and gives you great recommendations and ideas of things to do and see in Duluth. And his inhouse staff is very attentive as well. Thank you for an unforgettable weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for the Haven Suite! is spacious, clean and beautiful!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Eagan, Minnesota
Reviewed 29 June 2011

We have stayed at B&Bs all over the US and found this one to be right up there with the best of them. The house is wonderful and the accomodations are first class. David was a wonderful host providing us with a very tasty breakfast and also some fantastic restaurant recommendations. Our room was a very large 2 room suite with a very nice collection of art and antiques. The house was very quiet which allowed us to relax during this our 36th wedding anniversary. Overall this was fantastic experience for us and we will return to the Olcott House when we return to Duluth.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are fantastic
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Crystal, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 June 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Olcott House for our first anniversary. I, myself, had never stayed at a B & B before, but my husband has stayed at many in the past. We both were utterly amazed and pleased by our entire experience.

We were immediately welcomed by David and shown around the house. Even though another couple was coming in, David still took the time to give us a tour before welcoming the new guests. We did not feel rushed or ignored (as another reviewer said) and David responded to our questions very enthusiastically.

We stayed for 2 days and absolutely loved it. Our room was beautiful and comfortable, the breakfasts were great (I cannot eat certain things and was very graciously taken care of), and the service was excellent. We had many talks with David and learned a lot about the area and the house. Unfortunately, Jerry was out of town so we did not get to meet him.

We both loved our experience here and have already recommended it to others. We will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 25 June 2011

To begin with, The Olcott House is a well preserved, stunning historic gem of Georgian architecture. Secondly, David and Jerry are two of the most truly gracious innkeepers, and people, I've ever met. Combine those factors and you have an experience of true distinction. I would recommend this bed and breakfast in a heartbeat. My fiance and I have stayed there twice and we always left better for the experience. It's a wonderful place to relax and reconnect.

The breakfasts are tasty and elegantly served, the rooms are lovely and romantic, they serve wine and cheese in the afternoon, tea or coffee at night in quaint tea cups or mugs, and there is a remarkably well appointed collection of games to play and materials to either read or watch in one's room. Or, if you prefer, you can sit and read in one of the stately, yet cozy rooms downstairs. There is also a handsome piano guests are invited to play if they so wish, although the pleasing music that gently billows throughout the house sets the mood almost as perfectly as the soft lighting that warms each corner. I could gush for paragraphs about the attention to detail that sets this bed and breakfast apart from others...

If you find yourself staying here for a first time bed and breakfast experience be aware that your expectations for further b&b adventures will be set very high...

• Stayed May 2011