“Good Food...Supper Club!”
Review of Axel's Restaurant

Axel's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Axel's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Mendota
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Axel's River Grille is a casual fine dining establishment offering grilled steaks, chops, & seafood. As well as pastas, salads, and fresh in house made soups and desserts! Axel's offer THE best Walleye in town. This is the place where people come by choice, not chance. Axel's also offers a large selection of fine wines, including a reserve list. Also offering a scotch and whiskey selection like no other. Come out and indulge in a drink list that features the most unique and flavorful libations around. Axel's feature a made to order brunch every Sunday from 10:00am - 2:00pm featuring $.99 glasses of champagne and mimosas. And every Sunday starting at 4:00 pm treat yourself to 1/2 price bottles of wine (20% off our reserve list!). Join Axel's Monday through Friday from 3:00pm - 6:00pm for Happy Hour ($2.00 off all drinks as well as a fantastic food menu). Axel's River Grille is the place where everybody knows your name!!
Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

The food was very good and the atmosphere was that of a supper club. Service was good and if we were in the area we would go again!

Reviewed 5 July 2018

Six of us went to celebrate my granddaughter's birthday. Ordered drinks and an appetizer then waited an additional 30 minutes to place our dinner order. Server no where to be seen. When she finally came back, she said she was waiting to bring the appetizer back. Not sure why, she could have taken and placed the order a lot sooner. My wife and I ordered Prime Rib. I wanted rare and told her to let me know if they didn't have it and my wife ordered medium rare. She came back and said no rare but they had medium rare. I order a rib eye steak costing $14 more.

Waited quite a long time for our food and when it finally came my wife's prime rib was medium well so she sent it back. She ordered a Filet Mignon at a higher cost since there was no medium rare prime rib left. Food otherwise was pretty good with the exception of my mashed potatoes which looked disgusting and was cold.

We subsequently did not see the server or filet for quite some time, but were visited by other servers saying she was busy. We then shared our meat with my wife so she could eat and told them when the filet was finally ready to box it up.

We continued to sit waiting when we had finished with dirty plates for quite some time. When our server finally showed up, my wife voiced our displeasure with her performance and disappointment that she didn't even offer a dessert after finding out that it was our granddaughter's birthday. She then offered to bring a dessert but we told her to forget it.

Everyone then left the table leaving me to wait for the check and my credit card back.
It was brought back by someone else who did not identify herself and wanted to know what was wrong. I told her the whole story and indicated that I was a 20 percent tipper but not today (would have been $50 I left $20 instead). She did bring a dessert to go.

It was a shame that a joyous celebration was tainted by a server and facility who obviously were indifferent to good service.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

We recently went to Axel's for dinner and loved it! It has been several years since we had been to Axel's, we certainly have been missing out. The pop-overs are still as good and big as always. Our group had a pasta dinner, steak dinner and mahi-mahi dinner special. Each entree was done to perfection. We finished our meal with a wonderful piece of chocolate cake. Our server, Molly provided wonderful suggestions and made our dining experience great.

Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

Hidden inside the side streets of the very little town of "Mendota" Minnesota lies a real gem. Axel's takes you back to the quality restaurants you remember as a kid. Great wines and steaks in a nice ambiance. This is a place to return to.....and I will.

Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

Felt like I had gone back in time 20 years when we walked in, but was impressed with the food and service. Had Walleye, which was cooked perfectly. Mussel appetizer was just ok, came out with 2 unopened, which most places would have not served. Really enjoyed our server, Tricia, who was prompt and personable.

Date of visit: May 2018